Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSD Files in Bridge are opening in After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

When I try to open a .psd file in Bridge it instead opens in After Effects. The default file setting in Bridge for psd files is set to Photoshop 2019 CC and the default file setting in Windows is set to Photoshop as well. If I right-click and tell it to open in Photoshop that does work. So, something broke with the last update I think -- This most certainly used to work just fine.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

I have the latest Adobe CC programs and Windows 10 (updated). Thanks much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Hey guys, found a temp solution. Disable AfterEffects 2019 startup script in Bridge Prefs in Startup Scripts section.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Hi All,

We have released new version of Adobe After effects (16.1.1 Build 4) to fix the above issue.
It is available to install via Adobe Creative Cloud application. Please let us know if you face any issues.

Thanks,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THX!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey ClusterX, thanks so much. So much time wasted in 48 hours with this bug...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thanks a lot, this work. Hope Adobe comes up with a more permanent fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ClusterX! It works, but only after restarting Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Photoshop Users, I was having the same issues. Disable AfterEffects 2019 startup script in Bridge Prefs in Startup Scripts section. Quit Bridge & restarted. This fix worked for me.

Come on, Adobe I've been an Adobe user and trainer since 1989. This past 2 years of updates to your Apps have sucked with continued bugs. These issues effect all the professional who use your Apps daily. We have to find work arounds or restart an App to make fixes. This effects our production time working on projects for our clients or employer. Or better yet doing a presentation on one of your Apps to students and the feature does not works. I have talked with numerous friends that work at Adobe, on the training & education side and they have the same issues. Whats wrong with your programers? WHY??? get back to the high standards your professional user and Mr Narayen expect from your products...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you browse in Bridge whatever software you choose to connect (launch Bridge) owns it. So if you File>Browse in bridge from Photoshop, then Photoshop should open all images. If you File>Browse in Bridge or Animation>Browse Presets first in AE then images will load into AE. I realize that after you open AE first then Photoshop does not default to opening up images. You could reset the preferences of the Bridge then always open up the Bridge prior to having AE open it then AE won't ever control the Bridge. and things images load into Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be the planned behaviour but this is not whats happening to me.  I open Bridge manually from the start menu the same issue occurs.  In fact I HAVE to open Bridge this way because if I browse from within Photoshop etc.  Bridge crashes with a GFX card dialog.  An issue that has been occurring for at least the last year.  I've grown tired of constantly searching for fixes to these constant bugs & for the main applications in the creative cloud suite at £50+ a month I should not have to.  Thanks to ClusterX​ for finding a workaround solution.  Shame Adobe could not have found this as quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen. I'm getting tired of paying for a Beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newsflash. Every piece of software you use is a beta. Development is never done and bugs never stomped out. Nobody will wait or pay for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Every piece of software you use is a beta." No kidding.

Adobe software used to FEEL finished (e.g.: You had to be doing something relatively unusual to discover a bug) because there was a lot more involved back in the day to issue an update, so they did better at avoiding little problems. Now, they're releasing updates with relatively easily discovered bugs in common functions that sometimes aren't addressed for multiple versions. The subscription model makes it easier and cheaper for them to just release the software, let the users be beta testers, and address any glaring issues with later updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got same problem here, when got update some days ago. i just right click open in the native app, a really butt itch. looks like no one test across all apps or bridge you think for bridge they would use that first to try out for compatible, need to hire some one that likes to play with apps first before releasing. oh happens in all my files that i try to open using bridge. you can call that the after effect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mac just auto-updated After Effects and Bridge in the past few minutes. I re-enabled the After Effects startup script in Bridge, restarted it and everything now seems to be opening OK in it's correct app so think the issue is fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to the Preference panel, selecting Startup Scripts, and disabling After Effects, then quitting Bridge, seems to have done the trick for me. I wonder if that has an unintended impact on how Premiere and After Effect work with each other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked for updates and there are new ones for After Effects and Bridge. It seems to have addressed the issue of PSDs opening in After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked -- I have a Win10 system and my Adobe apps are all up to date (according to Adobe Creative Cloud). So, I re-checked the After Effects box and restarted PS and Bridge. It's still broken, at least for Windows it would seem. Stupid Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loki999 - Disable AfterEffects 2019 startup script in "Bridge Prefs in Startup Scripts" section. Quit Bridge & restarted. This fix worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loki999 - Disable AfterEffects 2019 startup script in "Bridge Prefs in Startup Scripts" section. Quit Bridge & restarted. This fix worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We have released new version of Adobe After effects (16.1.1 Build 4) to fix the above issue.
It is available to install via Adobe Creative Cloud application. Please let us know if you face any issues.

Thanks,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sahil -- That appears to have fixed it for me. Thanks for the update and the fast turn-around. Now... Can you get Adobe to stop breaking things in the future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thban You ClusterX. It worked in my case! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines