• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question: Does anyone understand the .acr file that appears to be produced by Camera Raw in v14.0?

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to PS v23.0 and Camera Raw v14.0, it appears that Camera Raw now outputs a second sidcar file - in addition to <filename base>.xmp, I now see <filename base>.acr.

I once negelected to move this file along with the raw file and xmp file.  When I opened the image again in Camera Raw in the new directory, Camera Raw indicated that the select subject mask was not available and had to be re-run.  After re-running the mask it appears to be fine.

Does this .acr file contain information related to the new masks, and, if it is misplaced, can it be reconstructed witout loss of information by rerunning the masks in ACR?  I suspect the same situation could occur if a file is edited in ACR, then moved and imported into Lightroom without the .acr sidecar.  I've not tried it importing edited files (with our without the .acr sidecar) into LR (Classic) yet.

Environment:  MacOS Catalina and Nikon .NEF files, but I doubt this situation is OS or RAW file dependent.

I haven't been able to find any information on this at all.

Thanks,
Don

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

The .acr files store the new masking data introduced in ACR 14. XMP sidecar files are text but the .acr file is binary. They must all be moved together.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .acr files store the new masking data introduced in ACR 14. XMP sidecar files are text but the .acr file is binary. They must all be moved together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are sidecar ai-generated selection masking data. If you used "select sky" and "select subject" and disabled the "embed xmp in DNG" option, they appear. I think the continuous process of updating the selection functions generated with "artificial intelligence" will be stored in these files to reload them quickly instead of recalculating them every time.  (Oct 2022) there are two (sky, subject) so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In Camera RAW v. 15.1, the .acr files do not get embedded, even with the setting turned on (“embed .xmp in DNG”) when editing a .jpg file. It seems to work as expected with both .dng & .tif.

(And, of course, there are now even more available masks than the 14.x “sky, & subject.”)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines