• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quick Export with color profile

Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand how the Export > Quick Export works in the latest Photoshop. But there should be an option just as there is in the Export > Export As to include the sRGB profile. I can't believe after all this time, that that option is still not available under Export Preferences.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl or Cmd k for Preferences:

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 8.12.18 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that does not embed the profile. It just converts to sRGB profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. Windows and Mac are usually sRGB aware. Most monitors are not profiled in the Web, many apps are not color managed, and most users are not educated in color management.

Is there any reason for a sRGB profile tag?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't agree with you there, Gene. There is every reason for an sRGB profile tag. I absolutely agree with the OP.

Case in point: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2431384

Here's another common scenario: A raw file comes from Lightroom in ProPhoto, because that's the default and the user doesn't know enough to change that default. Looks fine in Photoshop. Exports without a profile. What happens when you reopen that in Photoshop with sRGB or Adobe RGB as working space? Right, the user is confused no end and has no clue what's happening.

I'd turn it over. Is there any reason to not embed the sRGB profile? In a non-color managed setup it's just ignored and makes no difference anyway.

In fact I've had a hard time understanding Adobe's policies here. While the graphic applications have always been the industry standard in color management, anything web-related has been the opposite. It almost looks as if they're actively resisting it. Even a new and modern application like Muse isn't color managed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the Lightroom example was a bad one - that's just an argument against the Lr default, which I've made elsewhere.

A much more relevant point is this:

Viewing an sRGB file in a fully color managed web browser is not the same thing as viewing an untagged file in a nonmanaged environment - even if you have a standard gamut monitor. sRGB is not the same as monitor RGB.

Today, full color management on the web is not only possible, but straightforward. All you need to do is embed the profile and stay away from Edge or IE. All other browsers get it right.

Some browsers today do assign sRGB to untagged material. But, notably, Firefox still does not at default settings. You still have to manually enable that setting (mode 1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick Export has had a convert to sRGB option since CC 2015.1. That would prevent a user from Exporting a Pro-Photo RGB image unless it got checked off.

I do see a point where untagged sRGB would not display properly in a wide-gamut monitor as per your linked thread.

I had thought it was a quick image prep for the web.

Interesting discussion here: Photoshop: Save For Web, Convert to sRGB should be off by default for PNGs and GIFs | Photoshop Fami...

And it points to embedded profiles as best practice.

Well, I'll rescind that point then.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

I do see a point where untagged sRGB would not display properly in a wide-gamut monitor as per your linked thread.

Yes, but there is a noticeable difference on standard gamut monitors too. Not as much, but still enough that some people find it unacceptable - or at least notice it and wonder why.

I had hoped that all major browsers would adopt the "assign-sRGB-to-untagged" - policy. That would solve the whole problem, and ensure full color management at all times and in all scenarios. It's a very simple and elegant solution, with no cost and no downside.

In fact, even Edge and IE do this. They just botch it by throwing out the monitor profile and replacing it with sRGB - which very effectively ensures total uselessness on wide gamut monitors. Even an Adobe RGB file will display oversaturated with these browsers.

But until then, just embed the profile. 3kB added to the file size cannot possibly be a consideration today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had thought it was a quick image prep for the web.

Agreed, It is – which is why it does not have an option to include the ICC profile. Until recently, conventional wisdom has been to strip profiles and other metadata (for right or wrong).

As we all know, the new export options have a long way to go compared to the save for web which they are intended to replace (I personally hope that Adobe does not remove the “legacy” save for web option, or if they do, that they at least have feature parity).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone who weighed in. D Fosse is correct that certain browsers do acknowledge color profiles. Even Facebook’s guidelines encourage including the sRGB profile in images.

This leads me to believe that not enough people have raised this issue so Adobe has given it no importance? But why include the settings in the one export dialog but not the other. It would seem like a simple thing to address.

And don't get me started on why the legacy Save for Web and the new Export As *can* be included in Actions, but the Quick Export function—which this thread is about—is completely ignored by Actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only happens on this thread now as I was seaching for an answer to a problem I am experiencing. My workflow involves working with photographs in Profoto 16 Bit. As a member of a photography club we require all images to be entered as sRGB in competitions. I have always alternated between convert to sRGB and Quick Export depending on what the purpose of the output is. When I used the Quick Export with the box ticked for "Convert to sRGB" it worked fine for some purposes. I have now discovered that Photoshop 2023 ignores the "convert" option and does not save the image as a sRGB (8 bit)  color profile but leaves it as 16 Bit Profoto. Any suggestions how to fix this or is it a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that was unclear - it ignores the convert in "Quick Export"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since the conversion from ProPhoto to sRGB potentially involves some gamut limitation with the accompanying risk to detail in areas of high gamut, I would always use edit/convert to profile.

If you'd like to make images s good as they can be a manual approach to this is vital IMO.

First, with your image still in ProPhoto colourspace,  I would go to view/softproof/custom and set sRGB then activate gamut warning. This will put an overlay over areas which will undergo significant changes in the conversion between the two working spaces.

It might lead you to do some manual desaturation before conversing. 

sRGB has gamut limitations. Think of a composer, they have made a piece of music for a string quartet. But now it needs to be played by 3 guys with just a ukelele, atrumpet and a drum kit. To work at its best the music may need something of a rewrite.

Photos are similar, they need to be well optimised for the specific output (in your case sRGB) 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines