• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quick Selection Tool Clears Entire Selection

Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Alt (option) and Shift to edit my selection in an image. Because of the image, the pen tool, lasso, polygonal lasso, magic wand, elliptical marquee, etc. aren't options. This is a white circular cover plate, photographed head-on, on a white background. I need to remove the background. The most efficient way (or so I thought) turned out to be the quick selection tool. It worked amazingly up until I was about 90% of the way done... Now, even when I use Alt or Shift, OR use the "remove" setting for the quick selection tool, it simply clears the entire selection. This is happening no matter the size of the tool or the size of the selection.

I can't find anything online for this issue. Are there any suggestions, or does anyone have a much better way to remove the background that they might want to suggest? Again, magic wand, pen tool, the lasso tools and using an elliptical marquee aren't efficient.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

So before you click "Remove," can you see that the selected area is only the background outside of the plate edge? If so,make sure you didn't check "Select/Inverse."

Or: since both the plate and the background are white, the selection tool might not be able to distinguish plate pixels from background pixels in some areas.  Can you post the image here?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So before you click "Remove," can you see that the selected area is only the background outside of the plate edge? If so,make sure you didn't check "Select/Inverse."

Or: since both the plate and the background are white, the selection tool might not be able to distinguish plate pixels from background pixels in some areas.  Can you post the image here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually can't post the image 😞 I wish I could, but it's for a product we haven't released yet and if I post it online I could get in major trouble. But, I think it had to be that there were instances the quick selection tool wasn't noting the difference in background colors. I could see it clearly and this is why it didn't dawn on me at the time - that is the only reason I can think of. Thanks for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome! If all else fails, you might have to duplicate the layer and replace the parts with background still in them with the isolated parts, then erase behind them. (Thank goodness it's a round shape!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines