• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Can't write new document presets file" message at closing

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this message when closing Photoshop "Can't write new document presets file"  No luck in finding a solution . CC2022 version 23.1

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Please try resetting the preferences: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I reset the preference file, with no luck in fixing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you user ID has write permission to your Photoshop Preferences folder and that there is no problem with that folder.  I also do not know why Closing Photoshop would want to write a new file there. I would think it would only update existing preferences files.  So new document presets file  may be the existing

"C:\Users\(your user id)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2022\Adobe Photoshop 2022 Settings\New Doc Sizes.json"

Make sure the file is in good shape. Resetting your Photoshop Preferences may solve your problem,

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ! I removed the New doc sizes.json file and restarted photoshop, but problem still exist. It re-installed the file again in the settings folder. .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is  "Can't write new document presets file" the exact wording of message you are seeing?   "New doc sizes.json" was just a guess on my part.  If that is the exact message you are getting  the programmer could have done better job by provided more helpful  message that identified the paths and file name they could not write.   And if you ran Photoshop as an Administrator Photoshop should have been able to write files just about anywhere as far as permissions go.  On my Windows 10 PC I do not have a problem closing down Photoshop version 22 and 23.  Have you Added anything to Photoshop like third Party Plug-ins, extension, scripts etc?   If not  you may need the remove Adobe software download and run Adobe Creative cloud cleaner the reinstall your Adobe applications.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've manged to get it working, but its a bit hit/miss and I have to be running as admin. Also if i start photoshop and try to close it down right away it will still pop up with the message. Also the problem doesnt present itself closing down photoshop while a document is open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry about the trouble. Please try the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

1. On the Start menu, locate the program that you want to always run as an administrator.
2. Right-click the application’s shortcut, and then click Properties.
3. In the Properties dialog box, click the Compatibility tab.
4. Do one of the following:

• To apply the setting to the currently logged-on user, select the Run This Program As An Administrator check box, and then click OK.
  • To apply the setting to all users on the computer and regardless of which shortcut is used to start the application, click Change Setting For All Users to display the Properties dialog box for the application’s .exe file, select the Run This Program As An Administrator check box, and then click OK twice.

Regards,

Tarun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tryed this, but still have same problem. It has been doing it several months now, so probably nothing to do with the most recent updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tarun, thanks for your help. I was also having the same error every time I quit Photoshop. I just followed your instructions, and now every time I open Photoshop, I get a User Account Control dialogue asking if I want to let Photoshop make changes to my device...

IMG_1369.jpg

Additionally, I can't edit linked files from Adobe Illustrator in Photoshop via the 'Edit In Photoshop' button anymore. Illustrator says 'Cannot find associated application.' Any idea how to fix these new bugs now? 

2022-07-25 (2).png

Also, this did not solve the old bug, I still get the 'Can't write new document presets file.' error when I quit Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem! Please help!

Zrzut ekranu 2021-12-29 223033.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues also. nothing I do seems to sort it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's happening to me now, several times a day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since 23.2.2 version all works fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone ever fix this, it started happening with V 2022 and it's driving me nuts, I tried all the suggestions here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this is definitely just now happening for me.  As usual, Adobe forum members will respond with one useless attempt at a solution and then no one will respond after you let them know that it didn't work at all.  Bravo, Adobe.  The fantastic product service continues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having the same problem and none of the solutions above worked.

Other problems associated with the new version:

- Lost all my custom made actions

- I use custom panels, if I load an image directly from Lightroom those panels will not load, I have to start PS first, let the panels load, then load an image from LR.

- My workspace changes periodically even though the "Lock Workspace" is on. 

- I get random error messages about errors in "Line 1" or "Line 2" with no indication what file.

Needless to say wasn't entirely thrilled about the new update. 

Adobe Photoshop Version: 23.2.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also started receiving the Can't write document presets error- issue STARTED with version 23.2.2,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Agree 100 percent. I have the same error code upon closing out Photoshop. I have a feeling it has to do with the scripts I must use in order for Adobe Photoshop to operate (without the script, Photoshop, will not operate). It has to do with Adobe no longer allowing users to download a paid-for Photoshop app onto laptops/computers. They make you run it "virtually" which sucks. I've been searching for a comparable software replacement so I can eventually dump AP and anything else that uses Adobe Creative Cloud (garbage). I'm looking at three, right now. I'll post the best one I find. So through with AP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im also experiencing this issue! 
mine is linked with some scripts that i've always run as part of my process for years now without issue.. I get an error saying "JavaScript code was missing"

javascript-code-missing-error.png
the only work around I have found is to save and close PS which gives me the "Can't write new document presets file" 

cant-write-new-doc-error.png

and then on re-boot it usually works fine for a bit before breaking again.. this has been happening for about 3 months now on and off.. please fix! 

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for now running PS as admin seems to be working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope.. still doping it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. been with adobe for hours either they cant figure it out or they dont care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same issue with me and I've tried everything, but no fix which si very frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how I fixed it:-

Close all Adobe programs

Go To:-

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

Delete the following folder:-

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2022\Adobe Photoshop 2022 Settings

If you also have issues with Illustrator Libraries not connecting, also go to:-

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

Delete the following folder:-

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Creative Cloud Libraries

If you can't delete the folder(s) due to permission issues:-

Quit all background Adobe processes in Task Manager.

Ensure you have Administrator Permissions:-

Windows Key Plus R
Type
netplwiz

Set your user as an administrator Regardless of the current setting. Go back and delete the folder(s).

Restart Adobe Programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines