• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"File is open in another ..." warning after editing and closing a photo Windows 10

Engaged ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit a pic and save it to a folder, closing it out of Photoshop, which remains open. If I then try to change the name of the containing folder or move it via Windows Explorer, Windows 10 tells me: "The action cannot be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. Please close the blah blah ...." I can however rename the file, but still not then move or rename the folder. Nor can I move the folder or rename it via Bridge. This is resolved if I close Photoshop.

Photoshop seems to retain some memory space or such so that Windows interprets as the file open. It does this even if within Photoshop: 1. I use edit/purge/all, 2. open another file (or create one) in Photoshop and save it somewhere (to occupy the program) or, 3. clear the "recent files" list.

The is very annoying as I must close Photoshop and reopen, breaking my workflow.

Any ideas?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

If I understand correctly, you edit an image in Photoshop, then save it in a folder, close the image in Photoshop and rename the folder which contains the image, then you see the error. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, what version of Photoshop you're working on?

Have you tried restarting the computer and then test the behavior to see if it helps?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Sahil thanks for your time.

1. I carefully reread my post for clarity, it exactly attends to your mistaken first point re the problem, please reread it.

2. I always have the latest version, but the same issue was true with the previous.

3. We needn't test novice approaches like rebooting, I know what I am doing. I understand you have no way of know that, but I hope the precision of my post would indicate some level of facility.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a long-standing "feature" of Photoshop.
Open any file in another folder and close it. Then you can rename your folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please reread my original post and review detail #2; "It does this even if within Photoshop: I ... 2. open another file (or create one) in Photoshop and save it somewhere (to occupy the program)."

So unless you have some special notion of opening a file that you failed to make clear, you have this wrong. PS, it's not something ridiculously simple, I've done some due diligence here before I brought it to this forum. My guess is that it is Windows setting concerning memory release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File in another folder !!!
It works for me. !! PS2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Your stilted/shortcut writing style prohibits clear communication, 1a. you can't seem to read a post for content (I stated I created a file and saved it). You are making presumptions of what I did not do, and you are wrong as usual with presumptions. Thanks anyway.

2. You are wrong. Thanks anyway.

3. Thanks very much for your time. Please back away on this topin, just so that this topic does not get unnecessarily complicated.

4. Thanks, again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well. Check it out and tell me that you didn’t succeed.

1. Open the file in folder A.
2. Save the file to this folder.
3. Close the file.
4. Try renaming folder A (-> error)
5. Open the file in folder B (not a subfolder of folder A).
6. Close the file.
7. Open the same file again in folder B
8. Close the file.
9. Try renaming folder A (-> OK)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out my last reply to you, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did this procedure on my points, and not on yours from the first post?

Starting with PS5 (not CS5 v12) and on the CC2020 everything works. I personally checked it just recently. Everything works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as last reply, please reread it. Any more out of you is harrassment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it few times on Windows 10 in Ps 22.3.1 and I always succeed at item 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this method, just worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"feature" of photoshop? Try every freakin adobe product out there! Sooo sick of it... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderator,

Would it be too much to ask how it is you determine to rename the thread? If you know about the problem's fundamentals, I'd love you to share that information. I would note the problem does not occur in other Windows applications. At any rate any solution is welcomed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“Would it be too much to ask how it is you determine to rename the thread?”

Hi

I checked the history and it was an employee who renamed your thread. He is the only one who can tell you why he renamed it. I don’t know what your original subject line was and cannot answer for this one, but I will rename threads with generic subjects such as “Problem” or “Photoshop”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here... Latest photoshop, latest windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Cannot move or delete file until I CLOSE Photoshop. This is crazy. I close the file within Photoshop, and go to Windows Explorer to MOVE the file to another folder, but Photoshop will not let me move it until I actually CLOSE Photoshop.  (I noticed above that someone mentioned opening another file, close it, then you can move the original file. That's a crazy, crazy workaround.)  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2023 Jul 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. When I close a file I've been working on, I cannot move the file or the folder it is in UNTIL I actually exit Photoshop. This is crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YUP! Same here, it's 2023 and this is STILL a problem... 😩😩 plz fix this devs!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2024 Apr 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

same problem, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines