• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Not a valid Photoshop document"

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2010 Jan 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Phototshop file that I've saved on my USB memory and when I try to open it it says "Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document". It's really weird cause it worked a couple of weeks ago and it's the only file that doesn't work. I don't even know what happened to make it invalid.

How do I make it valid again? I really want that file to work again! Help please!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to open it in another program and save it as a copy. Then try and open it in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to open it in ImageReady, but it just says "Could not complete this operation. This is an unrecognized Photoshop file type".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it have an extension?

I have had the same problem occasionally and it always doesn't have the proper extension. So copy it and try adding like .tiff or whatever is your common usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not very Photoshop smart, so what is an extension? and what is a .tiff and how do you add it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A extension is just like .exe, .tiff, or .psd and tells you the type of file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it's a .psd file..

I was making a manipulation in Photoshop CS2. I've tried several recovery programs that restore .psd files, but none of them worked. I just don't know why it's invalid!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a .PSD (the Photoshop native format), and you did a Save to your USB device, it is possible that the file is corrupt now.

USB devices have had problems with read/write failures. Most often, these result in a Delayed Write Fault. If you know when you last did a Save, I'd look in Windows Event Viewer, and see if you have any warning, or error messages for that date/time. Check out any, that have links in them, as they might well point directly to a read/write failure.

I found that USB externals did not do well, when editing to/from them for video. Besides the slowness, there were just too many Delayed Write Faults. FW - 400's were better, though still too slow. By FW - 800, I had both the speed and stability that I required.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you are on a Mac, there must be something like Event Viewer, that you can use. I just do not know what that utility would be.

PPS - I have had good luck opening PSD's into ThumbsPlus, or Corel Painter, and then doing a Save, clearing up issues. Same for .JPEG's, with more options of programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I avoid as much as possible using externals as edit plat

forms. They are backup and when I save to them it's a copy not a move.

Then I always have the original

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2010 Jan 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am with you - mostly. Over the last two years, I have been using FW-800 externals to edit to/from for video Projects, to migrate those Projects between my laptop and my workstation.

For stills, I use them just as you suggest - archival storage, just like my NAS.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2010 Jan 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds about right.

But is there any way to save the file? Or is it not fixable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you already tried yourself to recover I would look up a professional in your area to see if they can recover the files. May be costly though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check this out. It saved a set of files for me.

http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/file-recovery-software/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Ontrack data recovery didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hudechrome-sd9sPI That software's free version is bullshit. I tried to recover a 4mb file and it says the 1GB of free data recovery is exceeded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I can get the file to open in another program, a Save from there usually fixes things. I would assume that some aspect of the header info has become corrupted (in my cases), and a few other programs are more lenient, than PS is.

If you need to go with file recovery, i.e. all other programs will not open the file(s) either, I recommend Stellar-Phoenix. They have several recovery programs, and bundle many into suites. I have used many of those modules with great results. If there is any of the file info left, they can often reconstruct the files, though maybe not perfectly.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get the .psd file to wok in any program, not even in Photoshop or Image Ready.

The Stellar-Phoenix seems to just fix BKF files (whatever that is), not a .psd.

Does anybody know if there's a program that can fix .psd files? Do Adobe have anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the name as seen on your computer? Open Windows Explorer and migrate to the folder and open it. Look for the file. What does the file read? It should read xxxx.psd or xxxx.tiff etc. if the dot is missing asn it says xxxxpsd, add a dot before the p in psd.

If in doubt post it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem. A little trick helped me to solve it.

1. Select your PSD file and drag it into Acrobat. It'll open the file as PDF.
  2. Save it as a PDF. Layers etc should be safe, don't worry
  3. Open PDF in Photoshop
  4. Save it back as a PSD.
  5. Profit!

P.S. In my case it saved everything, even the linked smart objects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Created an account just to comment on this year old replay that totally saved me to say thank you and I appreciate you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the problem, for I had the same problem myself, You are opening the image under "file, open as" instead of "file, open"  try this and get back to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked just "file, open" but even then it still says it's an invalid file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename the file and add ".psd" at the end. Worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just tried that right now.. it still said the same thing 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines