• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Refine edge tool" dus not respond to any activity

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the problem that my refine edge tool does not respond at all. I already have checked all kinds of official Adobe forums and although similar facts are mentioned, nowhere is a solution suggested. I always work with the latest version of PS, it used to work, but I recently identified the problem in version 21.x and now it is still there in version 22.0.

I add a screenshot. The result is that nothing(*) happens during "brushing". Thank you very much for your help!!!  (*) I see the "circle" spinning around when processing but the result remains unchanged.  It happens on both + and - movements: no result.

I am working with Photoshop 2021 version 22.0on a Mac (macOS Mojave 10.14.6)

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Resetting my PhotoShop 'preferences' did the job but I still want to know why/what caused this issue.  If it is stored in some preference setting (apparently) it must be possible to modify it (without a general reset).  Any comments are welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: although in the screenshot the option "show original" was turned on, it is not any different when is it turned off in reality. I also noticed that the program DOES TRY to REFINE the edges but in stead of "keeping it", the program REVERSES back to situation as if I didn't use the refine edge "brush".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting my PhotoShop 'preferences' did the job but I still want to know why/what caused this issue.  If it is stored in some preference setting (apparently) it must be possible to modify it (without a general reset).  Any comments are welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you happen to find a solution for this? I have the same issue.  My refine edge brush isn't working, it won't show an active preview of the edges I'm trying to refine and it appears to be doing the opposite, instead of refining, it's removing the edges I select after hitting ok.  I have the latest version of Photoshop, do you mind sharing which preferences you reset? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corruptions can build up in Photoshop over a period and resetting the preferences often cleans application. You can save your preferences so you don't have to enter the settings again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could you help me with which preferences need to be reset? I went to preferences and found a reset option under general and clicked that and did a restart on the program, however my redefine edge brush isn't fixed and now when I try to use the AI to select a subject it does a craptastic job.  I'm getting frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Laura.  If your issue has reached the level of craptastic, then we need to pull out all the stops! 😉

You need the right hand reset, but it doesn't do anything untill you restart Photoshop.  It usually fixes _all_ issues of a settings  type nature, and I would expect it to have fixed your Refine Edge brush.  I can see from your post that you did indeed restart Photoshop.

What are your system specs?  (you can go Help > System Info > Copy and paste to this thread

How old is the computer you are using and is the operating system in good health?

Are you able to use GPU acceleration?

image.png

It might be better to start a new thread specific to just your issue and system.  You'd get a better response that way.

BTW when responding to an old post you need to eith hit the Quote button or the @ character followed by the person's user name. that way they will probably (depending on how their forum settings are set) get an email advising them of your post. i.e. @Laura22637063c7wu  and LuWi@BE 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines