• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Source Rectangle is Empty" error

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting today I have a problem with Photoshop when many different actions result in an error that states that something can't be done because the Source Rectangle is Empty.

And I mean very different actions result in that one error - resizing image, resizing layers, changing color frofile RGB/CMYK, or even just trying to open some files. And all those files are old, well-used multilayered files that I modify regularly (something like templates) - never had problems with them before and nothing changed in my computer configaration either to cause it.

I can't effectively work in Photoshop right now and that is a serious problem as my work depends on using Photoshop... 

Before you ask, yes, I browsed the forum and read all other threads with the same problem - none of the solutions worked for me but then their problems seemed more localised than mine.

I work on Windows 10 with latest Photoshop version. Tried with the previous version too - same problem. Should I try even older version?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I thought to try the oldest version available and reverted back to version 22.0 and what do you know - my files are ok again and Photoshop works fine if a bit slower. 

Really, I should have expected that, I'm not even surprised that latest updates came with new bugs - so not the first time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's completely different error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do your actions have an "Add to Selection" step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, David, I'm not certain that "Actions" have to be understood in the Photoshop automation sense, but rather as "Tasks".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could modify one layer without errors but if I tried to modify several or all at once - got the Source Rectangle is Empty error. Tried selecting layers via selection tool and via layers palette, no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off the visibility of all other layers. do you see any pixels in the target layer in the area you are selecting  then? If you do not see any the message is correct. You  one layer at a time or you merger several layers into a single layer or clipboard. Copy Merge area could also be empty.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have like 30+ layers in that one template  - I'm NOT resizing them one by one, especially when I needed to resize them all exactly with the same scale, no way I'm doing it by hand.

Anyway, how do you explain the fact that I get "Source Rectangle is Empty" error while trying to change color profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Photoshop misbehaves, it is sometimes a good time to reset its preferences: reset Photoshop's preferences by holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Pc) Cmd+Opt+Shift (Mac) as you click on Photoshop's icon to start it up.

See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

If you do have access to the menu Edit>Preferences (Pc) or Photoshop>Preferences (Mac), it is possible to reset them from the General submenu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway, how do you explain the fact that I get "Source Rectangle is Empty" error while trying to change color profile?

By @Vera_666

I was puzzled as I see no relation between the color profile and multiple selected layers... So you are running into that issue with all files? only multi layered ones?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it with two of my old multilayered files - got the error with both, never tried it with a simple one layered file. With both files I tried to do the same things like resizing or changing color profiles on the off chance that its a problem of that one template but the second file got all hte same error too. I did try to create new file, copy layers from the old file and resize there but got the error there too.

As to the Preferences, I really hate when Photoshop resets them on its own (with some updates) so I'm not doung it unless I absolutely have to. And right now I don't have to as one of the previous versions of Photoshop works just fine without any errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood, but please check the help document I linked to, you can just move the Prefs folder to your desktop to create a copy: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have like 30+ layers in that one template  - I'm NOT resizing them one by one, especially when I needed to resize them all exactly with the same scale"

Are you resizing the template or resizing layers.  Image Resize will resize all layers. You can link Layers and scale the linked layer together.    You can  also create Layer groups and resize the group of layers.  What Photoshop command are you doing when you get the rectangle empty message? What Action step is failing with this message?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first I only needed to resize the whole template, so I went to Image->Image size. Got the error. Tried instead to resize canvas and then to resize layers via transformation tool. Got the error on resize, without any difference on how I selected them (via layers palette or with selection tool). Then I needed to work on my other file where the first thing to do was to change color profile. Got the exact same error. Tied some random funtions like image adjustment, got errors, always the same one about empty rectangle. Never got to the Actions as I couldn't even perform most basic functions of Photoshop without error.

Seeing as I needed to work on those files rather urgently I tried reverting back to previous Photoshop versions until I found one working without errors. I had not continued to poke that latest bugged version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, most of the actions cannot be performed on multiple layers at once. You can modify the font on multiple type layers, or the colors of multiple shape layers, but more adjustments will be grayed out for pixel layers. You can transform>scale multiple layers at once, but not apply levels for instance.

Could you describe exactly which steps you are trying to perform?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's like you never bothered to read my original post.

I have been working in Photoshop for many, many, many years - I know what I can and cannot do in Photoshop. I tried to perform the same actions/tasks that I've done a hundred times before, with this particular template no less, that's why I was very surprized by an error.

And that error was certainly introduced with the latest update not by any of my actions as I went back several versions and everything is working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use the correct terminology. Are you running ACTIONS from the Actions palette here? if not, quit saying actions and tell us what you are actually doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And most functions you cannot run on multiple layers. So if

"I could modify one layer without errors but if I tried to modify several or all at once - got the Source Rectangle is Empty error. Tried selecting layers via selection tool and via layers palette, no difference."

is true, its operator error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Operator error - you mean my error? Once again, I have not tried to do anything I have not done a hundred times before with the same template. And it's not like I tried anything elaborate just very simple things and got the same error with most of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I was running ACTIONS I would have typed Actions with a capital A to distinguish from the ususal "things" I do with layeres. Can't find any other word to describe my "actions" when the error ocurrs with many "things" I do with files, not any one "thing".

And I already described what I was doing when I got these errors, like trying to resize the image (Image->image size), resizing several layers with transformation tool, changing color profiles (both by Image->mode and Edit->color settings) and just by trying to open some files (but that one I think is related to my color profile preferences to convert them on openning).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean transformation tool? There is no transformation tool and if you use Cmd/Ctrl+T you can only transform single layers or a group, not a random selection of layers.

Resizing the images or changing color profiles, you don't need any layers selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean transformation tool? There is no transformation tool and if you use Cmd/Ctrl+T you can only transform single layers or a group, not a random selection of layers.

By @Lumigraphics

By transformation tool I mean ctrl+T or Edit->Transform. My interface is not in English so I might name some tools wrong. But I know what I'm doing with it, so it's not like I tried to do something new and I tired to do it a bunch of different ways with the same result - error.

And what do you mean I can't transform random selection of layers? With working Photoshop I usually can select any number of random layers, like on layers palette, and then transform them together, even if they are in different groups. Only locked layers can't be transformed, loose layers can be transformed any which way you want, together or separetly.

Resizing the images or changing color profiles, you don't need any layers selected.

By @Lumigraphics

Yes? I mean I don't get what you are trying to say with that. That's my problem exactly - I got that weird error even when no layer is selected (or needs to be selected).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's like you never bothered to read my original post.

I have been working in Photoshop for many, many, many years - I know what I can and cannot do in Photoshop.

By @Vera_666

We are trying to help, but your error is very particular... It is also difficult to assess one's proficiency with Ps in a few posts.

I understand that you are frustrated, but try not to vent on the helpers 😉

I've found another discussion with the same issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/could-not-place-because-the-source-rectangle-is-e...  Does those files have smart objects, what is peculiar with them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there are many smart objects in those files, although I don't place them from open Illustator files, I usually place them by dragging from computer folder. And I have not tried to add any to those files only work with those that have already been placed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines