Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

radial gradient

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

Since the Photoshop 21.0.2 release I am now unable to make and transform a simple radial gradient as I used to (to make custom drop shadows). It has become a much more complicated process with the new presets panel and I haven't been able to understand how to make this process simpler.

Can you please tell me what am I missing? 

Before the update, I would simply:
• create a new layer

• select gradient tool in the tool panel

• select radial gradient

• draw my gradient on the new layer

• command T to transform my gradient however I wished

Now the only way I have figured out how to do this same thing involves many more steps:

• create new layer

• draw a shape with marquee

• select gradient tool

• select a preset from gradient presets (or make a new preset)

• the shape becomes filled with linear gradient

• click on layers panel to open up gradient fill options

• select radial gradient

• convert to smart object (or rasterize layer) since I am unable tranform it without flattening the gradient fill 

• command T to transform

Thank you for any insight to helping me make this process easier as it once was. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

»Why do you say a "Gradient Layer in a Smart Object makes more sense to me"?«

My three-point advice to Photoshop beginners is

• Smart Objects

• Smart Objects

• Smart Objects

Non-destructive image editing allows for maintaining editabilty – in this case one can transform the Smart Object instance and still edit the Gradient Layer within the Smart Object (for example to change the 100% Opacity position or the Opacity Midpoint). Also multiple instances of the Smart Object in an image update in one go. 

E

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see no practical hindrance to your old approach … naturally a Gradient Layer in a Smart Object makes more sense to me, but I don’t understand what your problem is, the Gradient Tool still exists after all. 

Edit: Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 20.39.04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you kindly for the response. 

My set up does not appear to work like yours. For some reason the gradients going from solid-to-transparent don't work as expected, see this video. It creates a solid fill (1st part of the video). However when I select a solid-to-solid gradient it fills the entire layer (2nd part). Before it would just fill the space where I drew the line. 

Is it working differently for you?

c_pfaffenbichler Why do you say a "Gradient Layer in a Smart Object makes more sense to me"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Why do you say a "Gradient Layer in a Smart Object makes more sense to me"?«

My three-point advice to Photoshop beginners is

• Smart Objects

• Smart Objects

• Smart Objects

Non-destructive image editing allows for maintaining editabilty – in this case one can transform the Smart Object instance and still edit the Gradient Layer within the Smart Object (for example to change the 100% Opacity position or the Opacity Midpoint). Also multiple instances of the Smart Object in an image update in one go. 

Edit: 

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 08.15.59.pngScreenshot 2020-05-19 at 08.16.25.png

Have you reset the Tool yet? 

resetGradientTool2.jpg

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again for the very thoughtful response. 

First, you are reassuring me that what I am experiencing may be a bug which is a very helpful place to start. I thought I was just not understanding something with the upgrade.

Second, you are encouraging me to use smart objects. I have been using photoshop since the 90s before smart objects existed and while I use them sometimes, I haven't totally embraced them, and you have peaked my interest to use them more. Illustrator is my #1 tool these days but it's always good to be making our work flow more efficient. 🙂

I will trouble shoot a little later and circle back. thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»First, you are reassuring me that what I am experiencing may be a bug which is a very helpful place to start.«

No! 

I am indicating that it may be a malfunction – which is not the same as a bug.

If conventional trouble-shooting cannot restore the expected behaviour (and it can ideally be reproduced by other users) it might be a bug but so far I doubt it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were correct - not a bug! Sorry for misusing that term.

Restore preferences worked! I am very grateful. And this is the first time I am using this forum and just saw the rules that I should have tried that first. Sorry for that! 

Thank you again for all your help! 🙂 🙂 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I posted here first (or rather on one of this Forum’s predecessors) I think I didn’t know how to restore Photoshop’s Preferences myself and someone had to explain it to me … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines