Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re creation of old logo

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to re-create an old logo. I'm stuck at the font. The images I have are scaled down very small and I need it to be much bigger. Obviously, when I try to scale it, it doesn't look right. I'm using PS at the moment as I lost my copy of AI. I have found a similar font, but it's still not close enough. How do I proceed? The font looks jagged and won't cut properly on my cutter.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

The "Phillips" text is not a font, it is a mashup font that may have originally been hand drawn.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MadTrucker  wrote

I'm using PS at the moment as I lost my copy of AI.

Hi

If you have a subscription to Creative Cloud, you can simply download Illustrator from the CC app.

If it was an old version that you lost, do you still have the serial number? What version was it?

And last, if it was not CC and if you have not already used the trial, you can download a 7-day trial or if you need if for longer, get a one month plan for Illustrator (not an annual plan, paid monthly).

Illustrator is the best tool for logos. Do you still have the original artwork?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really need to create logos in a vector graphics app, not a raster image app.

If you don't have access to Illustrator, try Inkscape.

Draw Freely | Inkscape

To find a font, upload an image to What The Font's website.

https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scale up the image using Preserve Details 2.0 in Photoshop then make a Markee selection around the type in question then go to the Type menu and mouse down to Match Font.   Photoshop does a pretty good job of matching an image to a usable set of fonts. 

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could save a jpeg of the font in question, then go to a site such as whatthefont.com and upload it to the site so it can identify the font or another similar font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks everyone for the quick responses. I will try some of the various suggestions you have given. I agree that I should be using AI, but as I said, I lost my copy. My friend is going to help me with that... CS4 I think. At least that will be a start. I really need to learn AI before paying for it, as I've only tried it a couple of times and was completely lost. Again, thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There some pretty good font experts among the regular posters to this forum.  If you paste the best example of the log to this thread, we might find the right font.  You might even find someone makes the logo for you.  If you don't want to do that, then make your logo with as many vector shape layers as you need, and make them, together with the type layers, into a smart object and save it to a CC library.  That makes it always available, and you can even share it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

funny...

Here is the logo I'm working on. The original and the one I've been trying to fix. The text is a bit jagged when I cut it out in vinyl. I'm not the best in "editing", but I do take great photos. Figures my customer wants something difficult for me to find and fix.

XL0794.jpgPhillips_recreate.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it might be confusing the font finder sites, because it is not all the same font.  I'm not even sure the capital P and lower case h are from the same font.  Whatfontis.com made the most sense of it.

If all else fails, upsize it as far as you can get away with, and use it as a template with the Pen tool.  The problem is I was not sure about some of the corners.  Looking at it now, I don't think any of the corners should have been sharp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Phillips" text is not a font, it is a mashup font that may have originally been hand drawn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, thanks everyone for the assistance. I have tried many of your suggestions and as the last poster said, it's probably not a font, but a created hand font. You've all been so helpful and I think it's about time I learn more editing so I can be more productive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

awesome...thanks so much. I was just learning how to use pathways and such to trace the elements. I'm starting to get an idea of how this is all done. So much to learn. Again, Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines