• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recreation of a Bevel Effect

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is this bevel effect on a logo for a game that i used to play and i'm trying to remake it. I have a couple of problems i need to tackle so i'll start off with this one
nsmbu.png

This is the logo. As you can see there is a whole bunch of beveling around the outside of the letters along with the stroke behind them. How would i remake this in photoshop, preferrably with the smoothness of the original.

New.png

 Another image for reference

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all about the layer order

The dark grey rear most shape is solid as the bevel only shows on its outside.

The the blue and white shapes are identical in size, but the white shape is above the blue shape, and the white shape has a stroke and no fill.

The effects are mostly Bevel & Emboss, and the secret is to experiment with the Altitude setting to place the shading where you want it.  If you want a shape to have a lighter bevel, then you have to make the shape slightly darker because a white bevel is not going to show against a fully white shape.

The text also has a drop shadow.  The trick with drop shadow is to use the Size setting to control how soft it is, and then fine tune with opacity and height.  Does that get you started?

image.png

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of notes:

I used the Talk bubbles to create my shape, but I can't remember where they came from.  Anyone know where they are?

image.png

I made the background shape, copied it, and used Free Transform to make it smaller which leads to the offsets and unequal spacing.  Illustrator does this better..  

Photoshop's Layer Styles are super useful and very powerful, but a lot of effects are done better with apps like Eye Candy 7.  Eye Candy 7 is probably my most used plugin

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe hid all the previously included Shapes like the Talk Bubbles, before the Preset panels redesign, under Legacy Shapes and More accessible from the Window>Shapes flyout menu.

legs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kkh5C73_0-1680046753054.png

At the top of the letter you can clearly see there is a whole bunch of lines due to the bevel effect. Usually you could soften the bevel to solve this problem, but that doesnt work for the style i'm going for.

Super.png

 you can see the bevel here, and it has a sorta smoothness to it. i'm trying to recreate this. Any tips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What settings are you using under Bevel & Emboss?

be.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to recreate the 3d effect pictured in the image below.

Kkh5C73_0-1681938271537.png

Any ideas? I'm trying to get the details as they are shown

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kkh5C73 this can easily be created in Adobe Illustrator with Extrude. However, Photoshop has eneded 3D renderings with PS 22.5 - if you want to create this in Photoshop, you'll need to roll back to that version.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Kkh5C73 

I've merged your posts from March 28 and April 19 with your original post on March 27. Please respond in this post and stop creating new ones. Thank you.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines