Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove Banding caused by scanner

Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I wondered if anyone could help me. I have a number of images that have been sent to me that need cleaning up - especially the removal of a sort of colour banding across the image that I think might have been caused during the original scanning.

I have enclosed an image to give you some idea of the problem. Can this be solved with some action or something?

easyevenings 5.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

On that particular example the red channel does not show the coloured  moire patterning.

So I set the channel mixer to 100% red 0% green and 0% blue for all three channels. This gave a black and white version without the tint.

Then I duplicated the original and applied a Gaussian blur to blur the patterning. Then set that layer to color blending mode

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On that particular example the red channel does not show the coloured  moire patterning.

So I set the channel mixer to 100% red 0% green and 0% blue for all three channels. This gave a black and white version without the tint.

Then I duplicated the original and applied a Gaussian blur to blur the patterning. Then set that layer to color blending mode

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Dave. That is exactly what I am looking for. Much appreciated your time and ​advice.

Best Wishes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One final (quick question). If the image had a good deal more colour (as in the image below), would I still follow the same process that you outlined? Could I still retain most of the colour or is that lost as a result of the channel mixing?

helena.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same basic technique yes but I retained some of the old channel info rather than 100% red in each then added a curve to bring down the brightness of the red areas which lightened considerably when the input from the original blue channel was reduced. Then a bit of masking to restore those areas which did not need treatment and I got the following.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, again. It's very informative.

All the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exercise in Moire reduction aside, that still leaves the print screen. The best way is to go to the photographer and ask for use of the original which you should be able to do at the same time as gaining permission for use of his images.

https://www.fabrizioferri.com/

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, Dave.

It's been a long time since I've revisted this thread but I find it hard to follow exactly the steps you took (especially on the second image) - despite that you even shared the layer process. I work as an editorial assistant but I'm not technically savvy at PS.

I don't suppose there is any way at all that you could make a short screen recording for this method. I would be very greatly in your debt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines