• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Render Lighting Effects not working?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to add a lighting effect to an image, but whenever I go to filters>render>lightingeffects it pulls up a black screen. I've found that turning up the ambience lets me at least see the image, but beyond that nothing works. All the other sliders seem to have zero effect on the image. I've updated by graphics card, made sure I was working in 8 bit channel and RGB, I've even ticked the legacy compositing box. I'm using windows. I've been searching all night for answers and cannot find any. Is there anything that I'm missing? Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Please help!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Hold down the Alt key in the Lighting effects dialog and you will see the Cancel button change to Reset. Click on Reset and restart Ps for good measure.

If that does not work, Reset Photoshop Preferences as shown below.

Reset Prefs CC 2015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold down the Alt key in the Lighting effects dialog and you will see the Cancel button change to Reset. Click on Reset and restart Ps for good measure.

If that does not work, Reset Photoshop Preferences as shown below.

Reset Prefs CC 2015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, it's finally working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.This is not working for me....plz help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, there is the solution to try an older version of Photoshop: https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2019-direct-download-links.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Users of a M1 Mac need to use Rosetta, (in the CC app, select start on intel when doing a right-click on installed apps) and most users might have to disable the native canvas in the preferences/technology previews, as Lighting effects use the 3D engine that is being retired. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool it works after this! Thanks! Of course I had to waste 30 minutes with this and fixing a basic feature that should have worked in the first place (Hey Adobe 🙂 ) but at least there was a forum thread about it with the fix. Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this. Nada. It's even worse, it destroys the artwork so one has to quit the file in order to avoid trashing the graphic. This is a disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If the reset described by gener7 does not work , then you might want to add your comments to the bug report here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-lighting-effects-does-not-work-dire...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I would also try to update to Ps 21.1, that fixes a problem with the lighting effects on canvas controls: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have NOT fixed this issue with the 21.1 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, it was another Bug, but 21.1.1 release ntoes does list the black lighting effects: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This link worked!!! Richard King posted that we should turn off "Show Transform Controls" and then restart Photoshop. That obscure workaround is what actually worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But unfortinitly with 21.1 it isn't resolved and when speaking to Adobe about it they said they ahve not fixed it yet and are working on it still.  This is as 5min ago.  I'm glad that workaround works but being the "Show Transform Controls" needs to be off is a real bummer 🙂 lol.  like sucks bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, try 21.1.1 as its release notes does list the black lighting effects: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there, it doesn't show the fix. What I found was turn off show transform controls I turned that off and nothing different 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lighting effects has become very buggy. It works on my MacBook, but not on my iMac. I've tried all of the measures detailed in various places in the Adobe Support Community, and have gone through lengthly troubleshooting sessions with support reps, but continue to experience the same problems. The solution here is to ditch Photoshop, at least for lighting effects, and buy a copy of Affinity Photo, which costs $54.99 (period—no monthly payments) and has a lighting effects filter which is arguably better than Photoshop's, and which actually works.

Adobe recommends buying a suite of their new Substance 3D products, costing $19.99 and $39.99 per month, depending on what you need—they are not included in the Creative Cloud Suite, and no discount is offered for Creative Cloud users. It's unclear to me whether those products even permit you to apply lighting effects to a 2D image. 

Adobe is a monopoly, and behaves accordingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lighting effects have completely stopped working for me, which really sucks. I used to use this tool a lot and now I feel completely inhibited in my work with this feature utterly useless. I have tried literally everything on here and absolutely NOTHING works whatsoever... I am at a loss. 

I hope this somehow gets fixed. At some point.  

(I'm on Windows 10, using the newest update of Photoshop cc2022)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a MacBook Pro with plenty of power etc and Photoshop CC2022 v23.3.2.  I thought it was me doing something wrong.  The Lighting Effects doesn't work at all.  Sometimes gives a blank white document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I completely agree. I would like to check out that Affinity Photo. Sounds pretty good 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines