• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Right click image displays list of layers

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably a really dumb question, but I couldn't find an answer to it anywhere on the forums or otherwise.

When I right click an image/layer using the move tool, it displays a list of the layers under it rather than the normal contextual menu (with resize image, free transform, flip image, rotate image, etc). The normal contextual menu is pretty useful to me, and I don't know what I could have changed to make right click function differently. Is there any way to restore the previous contextual menu? When I tried to reset the move tool, the default right click was the list of layers thing.
In addition, I just started using photoshop and I don't recall modifying any settings in the move tool, so I assume my previous contextual menu is normal.
Thanks in advance for any help with my problem!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018
When I right click an image/layer using the move tool, it displays a list of the layers under it rather than the normal contextual menu (with resize image, free transform, flip image, rotate image, etc)

That is the default behaviour, what you call »normal« is not.

The Transformation options would be shown when right-clicking after a Transformation has been invoked (cmd-T or Edit > Free Transform for example).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I right click an image/layer using the move tool, it displays a list of the layers under it rather than the normal contextual menu (with resize image, free transform, flip image, rotate image, etc)

That is the default behaviour, what you call »normal« is not.

The Transformation options would be shown when right-clicking after a Transformation has been invoked (cmd-T or Edit > Free Transform for example).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tatsuyas49100807  wrote

This is probably a really dumb question,

There is nothing like a dumb question...  (Just wanted to clear this one... as c.pfaffenbichler​ as answered the rest! )

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has answered your question but If you were looking for those selections when right clicking in order to work more fluently or quicker, I suggest looking into learning some keyboard short cuts. They'll become second nature to you and make your projects move by much quicker rather then scanning the menus for what you're looking for.

Default keyboard shortcuts in Adobe Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine USED to do exactly what you're talking about in here. I want to set it back up to do this... did you ever figure out how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad how people rush to tell you that you did or said something wrong, but they don't give you the answer. I have the same problem and I cannot find what happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide a meaningful description of your issue with screenshots that include all pertinent Panels. 

Or better yet a screen recording. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same, before I just click in the selection tool, pick an object then right click and the full manu of option was showed, but now just the layer as this question said. If that was the standar or normal behavier, I want just right click and choose from the menu and no extra steps. Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 10.19.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-03 at 10.22.42 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dropdown menu listing the Layers with pixel content beneath the clicked location is the default behaviour. 

Under which exact circumstances did right-clicking yield the transformation dropdown menu for you in the past? 

Could it be that you had already invoked a transformation via manipulating the transformation handles that are visible when the Move Tool is set to »Show Transform Controls« in the Options Bar? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the think, I am not sure if was the defaul behaviour, but it was working before without me doing anything, I just right click and the menu was there, the next thing the menu wasn't there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again: 

Could it be that you had already invoked a transformation via manipulating the transformation handles that are visible when the Move Tool is set to »Show Transform Controls« in the Options Bar? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, this is not a dumb question. I had exactly the same problem.

Second, I know that this is a very old question. But, as I finished in this thread looking for a solution, I will post here what I have discovered to perhaps help other that finish here too.
And third, do not believe those would-be experts that only say that this is the normal behaviour and nothing can be done about it. The context menu is far more useful than the layers one, and anyway you can choose what you want. Here is how:
* If you select the Move Tool as in the picture "error.jpg", error appears - you only get Layers stupid menu.
* To correct this error, you only need to select the Rectangular Marquee Tool as in the picture "good behaviour" and the error is solved.

Hope that this can help people that google for this error and end here.
Also I hope that than readers with this problem can read pass all the would-be experts' comments that say that this is the expected behaviour and that nothing can be done to solve the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fail to see »flip …«, »rotate …« etc. in your screenshot, so while that contextual menu might be more useful to the OP it does not seem to be what they originally described, either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original question was how NOT display the list of layers, but instead display the context menu that has the Free Trasform and other things. I needed the same. Free Transform is what most people use much more than the list of layers. My answer shows how to get that. It is true that not all options that this person wanted are in the context menu, but I guess that he was just quoting from memory as he could not access to the context menu.
Anyway, this menu is what he and most people want to have when clicking the right button -me included- and not a list of layers that is not very useful for most people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway, this menu is what he and most people want to have when clicking the right button -me included- and not a list of layers that is not very useful for most people.

How do you know what most people want? 

Do you usually work with Photoshop files with a small number of Layers? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you click on "Free Transform" you are able to right click again to get the expanded menu. See the "expanded menu.jpg" photo for all the options you failed to see "flip" "rotate"... So yes, that is what that guy and I wanted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Aurora27352067fhs0 wrote:

Once you click on "Free Transform" you are able to right click again to get the expanded menu. See the "expanded menu.jpg" photo for all the options you failed to see "flip" "rotate"... So yes, that is what that guy and I wanted. 

Have you bothered to read post 1? 

Because I already mentioned back then 

»The Transformation options would be shown when right-clicking after a Transformation has been invoked (cmd-T or Edit > Free Transform for example).«

and it does not seem to be what you have described by 

»* To correct this error, you only need to select the Rectangular Marquee Tool as in the picture "good behaviour" and the error is solved.«

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Aurora27352067fhs0 , could it be that you had misunderstood the original post and replies by the people you called »would-be experts« when you made your first post to this thread? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines