Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotate image of embossed cover inverts at 180 degree rotation

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I am stumped. I scanned in an image of an old embossed photo album. When I rotate it the embossed parts transforms to a de-bossed image. I have tried rotating in various incremental degrees along with directly 180 degree at once. I have converted the image from psd to jpg and the jpg acts the same. See attached images, Please copy the image and try it and let me know if you solve my puzzle Thanks much.

Z_RotateProblem_0-Rotation.jpgZ_RotateProblem_180-Rotation.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Thanks everyone! Based on your replys and examples, I had the epiphany I needed! The image was obtained from a flat bed scanner which does result in a heavy shadow on 3-D objects. This creates the emboss or de-boss optical illusion based on which way I rotate the image. Since I need it to look embossed for the final output of the project, I will need to capture the image with the proper shadow to yield the embossed optical view I need. Ahhhhh......my head has stopped hurting! Thanks your all for

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They look exactly the same to me. It’s just a trick of the eye that makes it look de-bossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I agree, it's a trick of the eyes/brains. Our brains are used to the strongest light being from above and will make that assumption when looking at a 2D image with light and dark edges.

Both images are identical as can be proved if you put them on separate layers rotate them both 90 degrees in opposite directions and then use the difference blend mode

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can often occur when looking at satellite photographs, where North is at the top, and the Sun is shining on the landscape from the South. Mountains and valleys can switch places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you will forgive the sometimes fuzzy memory of an old man, this may interest you.

Many years ago Dwight Eisenhower was scheduled to speak at the UN on the subject of mutual air inspection. My printing company was contracted to print a rather impressive oversized brochure to be distributed to the assembly during the talk. In addition to the text, there were several photographs that had been made as a plane flew across the country at great height.

There was magic to it because all the images were directly overhead views, yet in one continuous stream. More magic: With enlargement, you could count the rivets on a wing of a parked airplane. And it is those images that I remember because of the effect of the shadow cast by the rivets. Depending upon how you viewed the press sheet – right-side-up or upside-down -- the rivets changed from normal round-headed ones to depressed pockmarks – an illusion created by the direction of the shadow. Enough said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone! Based on your replys and examples, I had the epiphany I needed! The image was obtained from a flat bed scanner which does result in a heavy shadow on 3-D objects. This creates the emboss or de-boss optical illusion based on which way I rotate the image. Since I need it to look embossed for the final output of the project, I will need to capture the image with the proper shadow to yield the embossed optical view I need. Ahhhhh......my head has stopped hurting! Thanks your all for taking the time to respond!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines