• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save a Copy not saving file to original folder in Photoshop - Problem or Error?

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to "Save a Copy" it trys to save it in the folder that I last used, instead of the current folder.  Example:  I just worked on an image that I took today, and it is in the folder named "2021_05_28".  When I go to save a copy, it wants to save it in the folder I used yesterday, called "Book China".  Is there something I might be doing wrong, or is there a way to fix this issue.  And I do consider it an issue, because I have mistakenly saved to the wrong image because I was working too fast. 

Thank you.

Bonnie Davidson

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

windows. Ive solved my problem. I checked the preferences to ALWAYS save to original folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows. 

Tried resetting preferences...

Used to work with me, but now it doesn't...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

changing the setting to 'always' save to original folder is working great for me so far. .  I didn't re -set any preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No seriously! 

I did the whole process of resetting my preferences again.

You actually made me do it - I hate to admit it: but now it's working fine...

Last time I did the reset thing, I probably didn't do it thoroughly...

Thanks -  so SOLVED at least for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL.. so glad it finally works!  I wonder what the Pros do when things dont work the way they used to..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BREAKTHROUGH!  hopefully, so far so good.  I checked the 'always' under save to original folder in the preferences, then pressed 'enter' on my PC.  it has saved teh last three pictures to the original folder.   ( I hope I'm not cheering too soon. LOL)  It was checked at 'always ask 'which it never did. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks to D Fosse I just did the whole process of resetting my preferences again... and now it's working! 

🙂

Hope this will help you as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same issue here, saved PS images goes to a random folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When simple things like this arent working there is no need to keep adding all the bells and whistles. Trying Gimp 

The Free & Open Source Image Editor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm experiencing the same issue in 2023-02, photoshop 24.1 windows.

Even if in preferences > File Handling is set to "save as to original folder", and "save as to legacy" is cheked, and like some suggest, image preview is set to "Always save".

Just to precise the thing, I'm doing batch editing, so I don't manually open each photos. Is this might be the cause of the issue ? Still this isn't the behavior I'm expecting.

Kindly, 

-CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to precise the thing, I'm doing batch editing, so I don't manually open each photos. Is this might be the cause of the issue ?

By @Charles91

Probably. There are many things you need to watch here, depending on what exact batch method you're using.

In the File > Automate > Batch dialog, for instance, there is both "destination" and "override action save as".

If you set "destination none" in Batch, and just rely on the action to "save" you need to be super careful and test on a few files to make sure nothing overwrites and/or ends up in the wrong folder.

Check the expanded step in the actions panel to see where it goes:

action1.png

Just double-click the step (with a file open) to edit it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D fosse, 

Correct, The batch edit did the job correctly as I set it to "override Save as". thank you for point this out!

Although if I run a simple action, this didn't get obviously didn't get override. So I made a new post here : 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/action-to-save-as-jpeg-into-original-...

Thank you, 

-CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines