• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save as not showing JPEG option

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not sure whats happened but I now cant save any JPEGS, I shoot Canon RAW and RAW on my drone and had no problems up until a couple weeks ago and now have to 'SAVE as Copy' to be able to save a jpeg.

Really annoying as I dont want COPY on the end of my file name and also, if I save a JPEG and then quickly do a Black and White version of it I usually just do save as and rename with BW at the end of the file name. I Save all my jpegs in a sub folder called HERO JPEGs, so everytime I need to save in that folder I have to click save as copy and go back through and click through to the folder and save, where as before it would auotmaticaly want to save in the correct folder. Massive pain in the rear and adds extra time to my work flow now, Is there a solution for this? What has changed and why has photoshop taken the ability away to save as when it was only there working fine a couple of weeks ago?

Frustrated!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, i can't save my file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'What has changed'

A change was made by Apple which meant that Photoshop was changed (for both Apple and Windows)

'why has photoshop taken the ability away to save as'

By default, Save As will now only show file formats that can fully support the contents of your document. For jpeg to show, that means your document must have a single layer (which must be a background layer not layer 0, be RGB, have no transparency, no additional channels and be 8 bits/channel.
File formats that do not support all the document content appear in Save a Copy.

You can restore the older Save As behaviour in Preferences > File Handling - and check Enable Legacy Save As.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Dave!

I think I fixed it, I was about to have a nervous breakdown

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, i can't save my file!

By @GiovanniC97

What Dave said: Enable Legacy Save option in your preferences. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save A Copy.

Save now only allows file formats that support all current properties of the file. Jpeg does not support layers, 16 bit depth, transparency or alpha channels.

If the file satisfies the jpeg file format specification, jpeg will be available under Save As.

There is a workaround to mimic the old behavior in Preferences called "Legacy Save As", but with a real risk of overwriting data. This is all because Apple removed APIs that Photoshop previously used to save. Saving is an operating system function.

EDIT: I'm still amazed at the amount of noise this continues to generate. To me this was just a minimal (and justified) adjustment to save procedure, no longer allowing a copy to be passed off as original. Fair enough if you ask me, and I think Apple did the right thing here.

But you'd think Adobe turned the whole application upside down and inside out. In reality, it's just taking the jpeg specification at face value (finally).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines