• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save copy incrementally with javascript in Photoshop

Engaged ,
Dec 24, 2021 Dec 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The free Javascript "Save-Incrementally.jsx" for Adobe Illustrator 2022, Adobe Photoshop 2022 and Adobe InDesign 2022 or older versions saves the current saved document in the file format .ai, .psd or .indd and automatically adds a consecutive number to the file name. Thus, the file "Example.ai" becomes the file "Example-0001.ai", "Example-0002.ai" and so on; this works analogously for Photoshop and InDesign. This is also called "incremented" (continuous) saving. In this way, you can save individual steps in between and go back to an older version if necessary. The Javascript also works with older versions of Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign.  

See my Behance profile or on my german website.

Have fun with it and merry christmas to all.

– jens

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2021 Dec 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new version 1.5 saves the original document in Illustrator and InDesign. The copy with the sequential number is created faster by the operating system.
– jens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not understand how to download the file, you can put links on the forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Geppetto,

click on this link to go to my behance post.

Read the text and scoll down, to dowload the .zip-file.

– jens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update Version 1.7: Saves the sequentially numbered copy in the same file format as the working file like psd, psb, bmp, eps, gif, jpg, pdf, png, raw, tga or tif in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for providing the script. Firefox threw up this error:

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 11.25.34 AM.png

I don't think it's  serious, but the download link is:

http://www.computergrafik-know-how.de/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/A117-2D-AI-JS-Save.zip

I guess it thinks http instead of https is a risk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you right click a link to open it in new card instead of tab, does the download start without warning?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My browser doesn't have a "new card", unless you mean "new window", and yes I get the warning there. I click on "Allow download"  anyway because the warning seems to be over a non-https connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the same word in this context. Anyway on Chrome there's no warning in any scenario.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to version 2.0 with more features and user interface. Here the example from in Photoshop.

ps-3 en.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

// Step 0d: Check if work file is saved
try { 
	var vFullName = ""+vDocRef.fullName; // Trick to convert to string
	var vPos = vFullName.lastIndexOf(vSeparator);
	vWorkPath = vFullName.substring(0,vPos);
	if (vFullName.charAt(0) == vSeparator) { vError = aMsg[[3,cLanguage]];} // stop, if document is unsaved, for AI
	}
catch (e) {vError = aMsg[[3,cLanguage]];} // for Photoshop

Check it in Photoshop. Condition vFullName.charAt(0) == vSeparator is always true for saved files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello jazz-y,

thanks for your answer.

If you use Photoshop, than you will get – without 'try' – the error 8103 if the work file was'nt saved before.

If you use Illustrator, than the condition 'vFullName.charAt(0) == vSeparator' is only true, when the file is not saved on the local harddisk. If so the path will begin with '~' like '~/Desktop'.

I have extended the programming. Now in version 2.1 you can also save copies to external hard drives or network drives.
Another new feature is that if you click on "Path for copy" and then on "Cancel" in the next window, the path for copy is reset and the copy is saved in the same directory (again) as the working file.

see https://www.behance.net/gallery/133799381/Javascript-for-AI-PS-ID-Save-with-automatic-numbering

Best regards,

– j.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sTT = stringIDToTypeID, mimeType = sTT('mimeType');
(ref = new ActionReference()).putProperty(sTT('property'), mimeType)
ref.putEnumerated(sTT('document'), sTT('ordinal'), sTT('targetEnum'))
executeActionGet(ref).getString(mimeType) && activeDocument.saved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since 01 February my website is running on https 🙂 There was no danger before and there is no danger now to download anything from there.

– j.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank  you. No more errors.  I never thought there was anything malicious, but when my Firefox browser throw up warnings I need to find out exactly why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds great, but when I use it to save an incremented png it just overwrites the previous png. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also... I'm trying to use 'date and time' instead of the counter option to prevent it from overwriting the previous save, but everytime I try to save it it just tries to save a psd. Tif works fine but I need png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

bro, your link not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines