• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save for web excluding file extension in output file

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop 2020, newest update.

When saving for web (after choosing format, compression, etc.), the file name is selected, ready for me to either hit enter or type in a new name (all good so far). I type in the new name, and hit enter. The resulting file name is all good, but the extension is gone. Surely this is unexpected behaviour, an oversight? It can't be meant to be this way, that all files saved via "save for web" lack file extensions if you type in a new name? I'm annoyed.

As the screenshots below show, I have file extensions enabled in Finder.

https://imgur.com/a/5yevMOb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of macOS are you using?

Is it Catalina?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have included that in my post, of course. I'm using Catalina. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be issue with Catalina.

Until it's fixed you'll have to remember to append the file extension manually.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/save-for-web-bugs-on-macos-10-15-catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue too. It really slows down work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed Version 21.2.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just sticking my oar in as well, still not fixed in 21.2.1, bumping for attention!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has come up "hundreds of times" since Catalina was released, however, nobody has been willing to see if exporting via a script resolves this issue. People just wait and hope that each new release resolves the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second this. Freaking annoying. Anyone have an update on this getting fixed? Workflow is in pain...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Catalina, so I can't test.

Are you willing to try a script to see if this can work-around the issue?

If so, what specific save for web options would be useful to test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following script is a proof of concept/test to answer if a script will overcome the Catalina OS issue where the file extension is not included.

/* This script exports a Save for Web JPEG to a user selected-folder, replacing file name word spaces with hyphens */

#target photoshop

if (app.documents.length !== 0) {
    // Remove extension and replace filename spaces with hyphens
    var docName = app.activeDocument.name.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '').replace(/ /g, '-');
    var docNameInput = prompt('Enter a filename (without extension):', docName);
    // Remove extension and replace filename spaces with hyphens
    var docNameOutput = docNameInput.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '').replace(/ /g, '-');
    var docPath = Folder.selectDialog('Select a folder to save the JPEG image to...');

// File Path & Naming
    var saveFileJPEG = new File(docPath + '/' + docNameOutput + '.jpg');

// Conditional overwrite check
    if (saveFileJPEG.exists) {
        if (!confirm("File exists, overwrite: Yes or No?", true))
            throw alert("Script cancelled!");
    }

SaveForWeb(saveFileJPEG);

// JPEG S4W Options
    function SaveForWeb(saveFileJPEG) {
        var sfwOptions = new ExportOptionsSaveForWeb();
        sfwOptions.format = SaveDocumentType.JPEG;
        sfwOptions.includeProfile = true;
        sfwOptions.interlaced = 0;
        sfwOptions.optimized = true;
        sfwOptions.quality = 70;
        app.activeDocument.exportDocument(saveFileJPEG, ExportType.SAVEFORWEB, sfwOptions);
    }

// alert('JPEG saved!');

} else {
    alert('You must have a document open!');
}

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this too in Big Sur. Huge productivity killer. This is such a basic need, I can't believe it's gone. Manually typing in a .jpg extension on everything is a waste of time.

Adobe please fix ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cambriacombusts you could try the script posted directly above your reply as a possible work-around. The script can be modified to suit your requirements.

This forum is mainly a user-to-user forum. Users can offer help in various ways, but obviously not help with changes to programming. To address Adobe directly with a bug report or feature request:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/photoshop/5f5f2092785c1f1e6cc4086b

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html#IsAdobeSupportCommunityandUserV...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues on Mojave using Photoshop 2021. Looking forward to a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the script workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone give me a breakdown on how to use this script (Where to put it?/copy and paste it somewhere?). I'm having this issue but I'm not super fluent in the back end stuff. Or have we figured out an easier way of doing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the link helpfully posted under the script code?

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html?m=1

What OS and version? What version of Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how did you go?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not comfortable using the posted script. I looked at the directions and immediately got a headache. I also looked at the instructions for reporting a bug and my headache got worse. 

Has anyone found another option to fix this issue? It sounds lame, but having to type in the extension every time I save as or save for web is a big pain in the tukus. 

I'm running Big Sur 11.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mikey2222002 wrote:

I'm not comfortable using the posted script. I looked at the directions and immediately got a headache.

It sounds lame, but having to type in the extension every time I save as or save for web is a big pain in the tukus. 

I'm running Big Sur 11.4

You will either need to upgrade or downgrade Photoshop to a version that works correctly with your Mac OS (or upgrade your OS and possibly Photoshop) – or use a script as a work-around.

The abbreviated shortcut instructions for saving and running scripts are:

1. Copy the code text to the clipboard
  2. Open a new blank file in a plain-text editor (not word-processor)
  3. Paste the code in
  4. Save the text file as .txt
  5. Rename the text .txt to .jsx
  6. Browse to the .jsx file to run (File > Scripts > Browse) or install to the appropriate directory to have the script listed directly under the scripts menu:

Mac OS Example:

• /Applications⁩/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019⁩/Presets⁩/Scripts
  • /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2021/Presets/Scripts

Win OS Example:

• C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Presets\Scripts
  • C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Presets\Scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script isn't working. I followed all the instructions and the file extensions is still highlighted. Please advise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@weston825 

This is an old topic, the script was a test/concept to address an issue in a 2 year old version of Photoshop with an OS that is no longer current.

What version of Photoshop and what operating system are you running?

The script works as advertised, screenshot of before/during/after results:

script.png

You have to run the script, installing it doesn't change how the native Save for Web interface works, the script is a replacement for the native interface, using hard-coded JPEG settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines