Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Save for Web' not working Photoshop CC 2020

New Here ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, 

My save for web option is not working. Every time I try to save using the Save for Web ( Legacy) option I get an error message. 

Please help! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Take this as a blessing in disguise.  Legacy Save for Web is outdated.  That's what legacy means.

Use File > Export > Export As.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried look for another way to do that, but apparently that's the way: 
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/discover/animated-gif.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe my only chance is to update to Catalina, wich i wont....  😞

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html#AdobeSaveforWebError

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 15.05.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work. It only takes still images, not animation. Unless I am doing it wrong the other way allows for animation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem Running most current version of Photoshop and up to date OSx 10.15.7 Catalina.

Restarting does not work.  No stange characters in filename.  I tried reducing file size.  This is ridiculous...  do I really have to download and install the free software GIMP because the Adobe software I pay for cant do this basic function!?  Adobe get your act together. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue as well and my job depends on the Save for Web function. Adobe, please fix this ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although you can use the Save for Web (Legacy) under File > Export, the feature has been deprecated and has been replaced by File > Export > Export As ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is not acceptable. Where is the animation selection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean ANIMATED gif?

File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy) > Gif.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy!

That is exactly the option that is not working - now it's not working for me either - which has work all 2020 but now when I trid today I get that error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For static web images, I use File > Export > Export As...

Legacy Save for web is too outdated.  I won't use it anymore.  IMO there are better options available online.  Look at Adobe Spark for Photo Animations.  Or do a Google search for 'online animated gif maker'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! Have you tried reducing the file size? It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since about a month I have the same issue with PS CC 2021 on Windows 10 (64). Most actual versions of PS and Win 10 installed. I run PS in German and the error says "Der Vorgang konnte nicht abgeschlossen werden".

The function "Export as ..." is no option as it will not be recorded in a macro.

Please fix asap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Been trying to export a GIF for 3 days and keep getting the same error message. I've updated Photoshop and also reset preferences. Hopefully someon will be able to fix this soon as I'm up against a deadline and no idea how to get around this 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! Have you tried reducing the file size? It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, with the most actual update of PS CC 2021 the action works on my computer (WIN 10 64).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goto Image > Mode > change 32 bits/channel to 8Biits/Channel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys! 

So Ok, I think this is STILL an issue. I just literally purchased the whole CC suite, installed a clean freash version of PS 22.5.4. Its a 2014 Macnbook Pro. It runs smoothly w no problems at all. Im running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

Actually Adbobe automatically picked this version for DL. 

I go to save for web using the old classic typical way (CLT + ALT + Shift + S) and Legacy dialog window comes up. I dial in file, size, return... and then a warning dialog box comes up!.

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 12.04.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 12.04.33 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-07 at 12.04.41 AM.png

WHAT IS THE FIX TO THIS!  There has to be a way other then the export window.

Please advise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@L. Posso,

Use File > Export > Export As. 

Legacy Save for Web should be avoided.  It's no longer fit for purpose.  That's why it's called "Legacy." 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious... If Legacy Save for Web is no longer fit, what other method is there to export slices in Photoshop? 

And are there plans for Adobe to completely eliminate Save for Web in the near future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@troyjack,

==========

I hope Adobe retires Save For Web.  IMO, it outlived its usefulness 10+ years ago.

Nobody slices images anymore.  No need to.  That practice is a relic from 1990's web design when the Internet was new and most people had inferior devices and super slow dial-up connections. 

These days, the web consists of whole images or layers served in various sizes (1x, 2x, 3x,) to fit different devices (mobile, tablet, desktop). Export As supports this whereas "Legacy" Save for Web does not.

For more on using the <picture> element with srcset, see links below:

https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/HTML/Element/picture

https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_images_picture.asp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the cute wink Nancy, but if legacy is no longer fit for purpose, then it should be removed. I, like others rely on the exporting of animated GIFs. It's been in my workflow for quite a while and I have no interest in learning yet another Adbobe application such as Spark or Animate (which are useless and will be retired eventually). Ive been using Adobe producst sine Illustrator 88 (yes, I am that old), but I'm still an avid user and rely on consistancy and professionalism, something that Adobe just refused to understand. So I'll take your cute wink and raise it. Thanks for virtually no assistance in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

if legacy is no longer fit for purpose, then it should be removed.

By @dario cdco

========

Agreed.  And I wish they would already. 

WebP is superior to animated GIF:

• WebP supports 24-bit RGB color with an 8-bit alpha channel, compared to GIF's 8-bit color and 1-bit alpha.
  • WebP supports both lossy and lossless compression; in fact, a single animation can combine lossy and lossless frames. GIF only supports lossless compression.

Related links:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines