• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save stuck on 0%. HELP! [2019]

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the latest version of Photoshop 2020 (21.0.1). I tried saving my file and it stuck on 0%. I figured because the autosave is on I can close it and I might lose only the last few things I did. God was I wrong. I lost all my work. I did some work again and decided to manually save it again. Little did I know I have the same issue. Is anyone else experiencing this? I don't know what to do. I don't want to lose everything again. I tried duplicating everything and saving that file bot it didn't work. Please help as this is important work. I'm using a 2017 Mac if that has anything to do with it.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 160 Replies 160
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had a slight twist on this.

I noticed my file was stuck at 0%.

I realised that I had no idea how long it had been stuck at 0% because Photoshop was responding normally and I may have continued to work since I last hit save.

I had noticed, a little while earlier that I tried to delete a group & didn't get the usual box of options come up. However, when I typed cancel, I noticed a slight flicker on the screen & realised that menu boxes etc. were coming up but were not visible.

By the time I decided to do the sensible thing, save my work & restart, THAT was when I noticed the 0% thing.

I found this thread & started on all the workarounds.

It became apparent that I could only see the window of my main file & none of the other windows that were being created.

I could see them in the WINDOW menu.

I could see the layers changing in my layers palette.

I could not see the files themsleves.

One by one I managed to close them by going through the appropraite key commends as though the file was there, even though I couldn't see it.

At one point, photoshop was trying to save three files (& obviously getting nowhere). I discovered that it was possible to  click on the X next to the 0% save on the one window I COULD see & was able to cancel the saving of the other files & close them.

Finally I got back to just have my one file open.

Duplicating to a new document didn't work.

Placing a linked file & Packaging didn't work.

Creating a smart object, opening & saving that didn't work.

"Export As" DID WORK. Yay!

But you can only export flat files, so that's about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

In the end, none of the workarounds worked for me & I've had to force quit PS. The recovered file is not so bad, I don't think. I maybe only lost about half an hour's work, although I just spent about two hours trying to get it back.

I'm running PS2021 (22.5.2) on a 16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Max Chip, 64GB RAM with Monterey 12.5, saving to a 5TB external hard drive formatted as APFS (Encrypted). I'm not sure if any of those things are deemed to be incompatible?

I shall now contact my IT department & see if PS currently full disk access or not. (Our IT dept has a lot of things locked down so I can't currently find out for myself. Even though it's greyed out, I can see that the "full disk access" box is not ticked. However, in the "files & folders" secion within "Security & Privacy", all available places are ticked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing/situation happend to me just tonight, all solutions did not work except export layers. Mac Studio M1 ultra, Moteray 12.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

November 2022, still experiencing this exact issue. 0% stuck mode, locking out closing documents or saving other documents because the queue is stuck. Using latest version of Photoshop on the latest version of Mac OS on a base model Mac Studio with a Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and a 27" 4K BenQ graphics monitor. This happens nearly daily and losing work. Someone in Adobe needs to figure out what this bug is and how to prevent it for good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps try resetting Photoshop preferences?

(read this entire post before acting please)

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes.

If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS.

To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see here for how to access hidden user library files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Unexpected behavior may indicate damaged preferences. Restoring preferences to their default settings is a good idea when trying to troubleshoot unexpected behaviors in Photoshop. check out the video

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Learn how to access and modify Photoshop preferences and customize per your frequent workflows

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

And here’s an earlier forum discussion as an aid to understanding

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-pre...

You may want to backup your settings and custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences.

Here is general info about that:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Before you reset your preferences

in case of future issues, I suggest you make a copy as Adobe may need one to check problematic references. 

Quit Photoshop.
Go to Photoshop's Preferences folder

Preferences file locations: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html\

[in MacOS see: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

be aware that the user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

In the Finder, open the “Go” menu whilst holding down the Option (Alt) key.

Library will now appear in the list - below the current user's “home” directory. ]

Now you can drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe as a back-up of your settings.

Note that on macOS:

Preference preservation is affected by macOS permissions,

you’ll need to allow Photoshop ‘Full Disk Access’ in your Mac OS Preferences/Security and Privacy

It may even be time to reinstall Photoshop.

It’s recommended that you use the Adobe CC cleaner tool to remove all traces first.

(See above about preserving preferences though! Its worth preserving them unless they are corrupted.)

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Uninstall Photoshop BUT make sure to choose the option “Yes, remove app preference”.

Once that process finishes, start the installation process and look into the “Advanced Options”. Uncheck “Import previous settings and preferences” and choose to “Remove old versions”.

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out. FINALLY. RASTERIZE ALL YOUR LAYERS! Then it should save. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right but what if I don't WANT to raster everything - Stability and reliability was PhotoShop's thing. It was reliable and fast, but it has been on a downhill trajectory since version 7.0 adding pointless nonsensical features and turning the application into a slow, bloated service.  I've been a customer since November 1994. But the work you have just caused  me to lose in my not being able to Save is the final straw. I'll be evaluating Affinity Photo at the earliest opportunity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the workaround, however Adobe, this is a blunt force truama of a solution and something I should never have to consider using. I can only reiterate Calx's point - you have been dumping on your core userbase, from pointless, convoluted functionality, workflow changes, massive increase in instability to a massive performance hit for too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a particularly complex shape - it was causing the file not to save - if you remove any layer effects, and disable fill and line, the file will save. So, you can at least rasterise the layer and have a line back should you need to edit it.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an action which helps in 99% of the times when I run into this problem.

You can download it here: (I'll try to keep this link active as long as possible)

https://we.tl/t-ThMOT6QJbs

in the download there are 2 files: the action and a png (you need an external image, and I included this one) 😄

Double click the action (it will be installed automatically and you can find it within your actions panel) and put the png somewhere where you can find it easily (here it sits on my desktop, or you can put it in "documents" folder for example.

The action explains everything step by step, but basically what you need to do is run the action, select the png image whenever it is asked for, and continue the action. Then you should have a packaged psd file inside a folder. This psd file is the saved version of your stuck file. Hope it helps and for those who are helped with this: you're welcome 🙂

Sieg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done on this, I moved to Affinity where I'm very happy - insane that people have to rely on 3rd party workarounds  for critical bugs reported 4 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2024 Mar 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem, I cancelled one save action, made a change, then tried to save and it got stuck at 0%.

It eventually returned an error that it cannot save the file because of program error and when clicking on "How to fix this", the page shows one possible escape:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/program-error-opening-psd.html?trackingid=C12Y2WS7&mv=in-produc...

The fix is to hide all layers, then save again. It prompted me for a fiel name, so I chose a new name and it saved normally. I could exit PS and restart the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines