• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving a document as a template

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read previous inquiries about this issue but don't seem to have a solution for Photoshop cc 2020. I have created a document and want to save that as a templte to use in other projects. I'd like to Create a new document and see my document as a template to use along with the mockups I have ordered and paid for through Adobe Stock and the templates Adobe supplies. Does anyone know how to accimplish this task which should be quite easy to do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Yes, in PS it's very easy. Just add a "t" for "template" to make it a .psdt file and it will open as a template.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I have tried that but the file does not show up in the list of templates when I choose to create a new file. Do I need to make sure the psdt file is stored in a particular location? I have not been able to find the templates folder on my MAC drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane is of course correct but making it a template file only prevents it from accidentally being overwritten. When you open a template file it comes in as a new untitled and unsaved file. (which makes the original file sort of read-only)

You cannot put whole files in a library.

I would suggest to use Bridge. You make a folder on your hard drive for all your template files. Then make that folder a favorite so you can access them with one click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find an answer to this? I too would like to know how to get them in the "New Document" area.  It doesn't look like anybody here understood your request, but I think I do.  You want to be able to click "New Document, and the template you've created be available to select from that area.  So that it would contain the content for the template in the same way that downloading a template from Adobe Stock shows up in that area.  Simply clicking on their template, loads the PSDT file from somewhere, why can't we just add our own to this list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not use as mac.  Which version of Photoshop are you using? Which New Document Interface are you using? If the Newer new document interfaces which sections are missing the templates you are looking for?  I believe there are some differences between versions of Photoshop in how template are displayed. I think in some versions of Photoshop you templates only show as presets in your Libraries.  I also do not use cloud libraries I keep all my stuff local.  And save my templates as PSD files.  I do not use PSDT for all my script save new files they do not overwrite templates files.  I have to that manually like you have to do when you need to update your PSDT template. Old Photoshop version do not have special support for the extension PSDT ie open documents as new documents  with preset data not as existing documents. So its PSD for me. I like to keep things as compatible as possible.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all. I believe the solution you are looking for is to have a "template" (aka Preset) display with predefined settings, layout, etc. when you open Photoshop and launch a New Document. If this is the case, you should be using "Presets." 

The first time you create a document, you should see a panel on the right with "Preset Details" at the top. Click the box icon next to the name and it will expand this field. Set your Preset Details name (I recommend naming it so that you know it's a template - ex. template_Facebook-Feed). Make sure your document settings (W, H, Resolution, etc.) are what you want and click "Save Preset." 

The next "New Document" you create will display your template in the recent items and in the "Saved" tab. If you wish to save templates in specific tabs (ex. Print, Web, etc.), then create and save the templates within those tabs.

Happy Photoshoping...

[removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines