• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving as Copy instead of Overwriting: PS 2020 with macOS Catalina [locked]

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having an issue with the new update. Finally, I am seeing my extension name update when a new one is selected in the save as dialog box... however I am still having an issue with saving over original files. If I make changes to a file then try to save over the .png file it keeps saving as filename-copy.png. I am not able to unselect the "Save as a copy" box. Anyone else?

[subject edited for clarity]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Contacted Adobe support — said that it's a known issue and pointed me here:
Photoshop: Saving copy not saving over jpg file

Maybe it's more useful to write there?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

This bug introduced by Apple with macOS Catalina has been resolved with 22.4.

~Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 212 Replies 212
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same problem here. I guess it still hasn't been fixed over a year later?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like all you guys, I have the same VERY annoying issue with my mac. I just contacted Adobe, they say, it is a known issue and we just have to wait the future update. Hope they'll fix this soon 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are workarounds while you wait for Adobe to fix things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find a valid workaround. Please help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that the workaround is scripting. I'm willing to write a script, but I need to know the file format and options. If you can provide this info and are will to provide feedback you may have a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't find any valid workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having this problem when I updated photoshop. I am currently running macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 and was updated to photoshop 22.1.1. I never had this problem before with overwriting a file. So it was maddening to realize every new jpeg overwrite was creating a new copy file. 

My workaround was to open creative cloud app and next to photoshop, click on the tree dots and a drop down will appear with option to view 'other versions' I installed the last version I had, 22.1 and now I no longer have this problem. Hope this helps and I hope Adobe solves this problem soon. It's these small issues that cause so much uneeded stress. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this a correct answer? This isn't solved so why are we trying to close this ongoing issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the correct answer is to contact and submit something to adobe and hope that they fix it 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trying it out again 22.0.0 release photoshop mac os 10.15.6 catalina creative cloud release 5.3.1.470Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 12.12.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-10 at 12.12.59 PM.png

ok so i saved a brand new psd file closed it opened it saved a jpeg and then saved it again and yes it worked on my desktop it overwrote the file . then i took the same file into a folder that i have been working on and it didnt work i had the copy.jpeg file . so i took a file from the folder and took it to my desktop saved it and saved the jpeg it worked took it back to the folder and it didnt work. THEN i saved the psd file and closed it reopened it and saved it again jpeg saved it again and it worked wrote over it ................... so if you are following the train (coocoo) save the original psd file close it and reopen it save as jpeg should then write over the jpeg file going forward ........................ 

NOPE didnt work just opened up an old psd file and saved it wrote over it and it didnt work ..... its hit or miss sometimes it works other MOST of the time it doesnt 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You never know. Maybe someday...in the next few years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only is this not a correect answer to anything but did you miss the fact that thousands have been complaining to Adobe for th past year and half, it's a "known issue", and it hasn't been fixed? They keep coming out with new versions with new useless bells and whistles and yet this basic basic basic glitch has not been addressed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No eekphoto, I didn't miss this fact. It's ridiculous how long it has been going on and still no fix. That's the point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed the latest 2021 update... on my 2021 Version of Photo Element. This issue is still Unresolved - after all this time?

What a waste of workflow time to have to rename and delete unnecessary copies of jpg, png, or tif Files -  all day long.

I regret any UPGRADE $$ - that led to this problem. Why can't ADOBE fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. There are things they changed in both Photoshop and Illustrator that make it almost too difficult to use and they've received thousands of complaints and done nothing about it. Meanwhile, we keep upgrading every six months with crap that we don't really need. I don't know who is steering the Adobe ship, but they better get their s*#t together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I figured out the solution while solving a separate issue with After Effects/AME: How and when to use the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool | Advanced steps

This worked for me at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, please disregard - it didn't work and I'm unable to delete my comment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just another annoying problem. Im reluctant to upgrade to the latest verion now, at least the bugs ive got are manageable, without adding to any more bugs. 

Its a simple thing, honestly, why isnt it fixed by now!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this still an issue over a year later?!? wtf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Adobe suck!

rhe last good versions were 3 & 6

i use another competitor programs that a clunky but far better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you found an answer to this problem already? I have the exact same problem and don't know how to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in oder to fix Photoshop - you need to fix the companby first - they're to big to care! they think you use what ever crap they give you! ...there are other programs better than photoshop! ...try Affinity - love it - and they care!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow - just looked at Affinity - it looks seriously delicious 🙂 ... Adobe should seriously look over its shoulder..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow thanks, Affinity looks awesome, I only have Adobe for photoshop so will look at cancelling and go for affinity, I've had this saving issue for well over a year now so will be nice to jump to something else as Adobe will never issue a fix for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines