• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving files as PNGs

Contributor ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC is an absolute dog when it comes to either converting a file to PNG or saving a PNG file. Once you click the Save button you may as well go get a coffee. This happens anytime you save a CR2 file as a PNG, or save a TIF to PNG or save a PNG after editing it. Come on Adobe, are you intentionally try to get people to stop using PNG? If you are you are more likely to drive people away from Photoshop.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Not sure what prefernces are being referred to but I already had a look at that (especially the File Handling tab) and can see nothing obvious.

By @sjhoyes

That's not the point of resetting preferences. It's not about your own settings.

The preferences file records the complete application configuration. This file is rewritten every time you quit Photoshop, so errors accumulate and it can be prone to corruption. This is unlike program files, which are read-only.

A corrupt preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will help you get an answer if you post the following:

LRC Community guidelines,jpg.JPG

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not normal behaviour - you may have a system issue.

How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Have you tried resetting the Photoshop preferences, which you can do under the General tab in Photoshop preferences (and then closing and reopening the application)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reply to the 2 previous replies:

Hardware - Windows 10 Pro v2004 (build 19041.12288) with all updates applied.

Installed RAM is 32 GB

Boot drive is an SSD with 123 GB of free space.

Secondary drive is a WD with 3TB of free space.

Using Photoshop v23.0.0.No error messages. 

My issue, as explained above, is with slowness when saving files as PNGs. This is when saving from RAW to PNG, TIF or Jpg to PNG or simply editing an existing PNG and saving in the same format. They are not layered and are saved as medium file size. I can save a file in the TIF format and PS will save the file lightning fast. Saving the same file as a PNG will take up to a minute.

Not sure what prefernces are being referred to but I already had a look at that (especially the File Handling tab) and can see nothing obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should have mentioned my vidio card is an NVIDIA GForce GTX 1060 6GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @sjhoyes

That's not the point of resetting preferences. It's not about your own settings.

The preferences file records the complete application configuration. This file is rewritten every time you quit Photoshop, so errors accumulate and it can be prone to corruption. This is unlike program files, which are read-only.

A corrupt preferences file can cause erratic and unpredictable behavior, and resetting is standard troubleshooting procedure. It returns the software to out-of-the-box factory state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did as test on a 6000x4000 pixel image 131MB Save As .PNG. Saved in 10 seconds or less to a 7200 rpm 4TB HD.

My system is Win 10, I7-8700K 64GB ram and GTX 1660S.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it export>Quick export to PNG any slower/faster? 

There are different levels of compression for PNG, which one did you select? 

Not sure if SuperPNG is still compatible? https://www.fnordware.com/superpng/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First off, thanks to everyone who took the time to answer.

[1] I reset the preferences file and that went a long way to fixing the problem. PNG files now save within a couple seconds. Fully acceptable.

[2] Quick export as PNG also worked very well though I must say that I did that after resetting preferences.

Still a little puzzeled as to why this would happen only with PNG files and not with TIF, DNG, PSD, layers or not.

But be that as it may, for now I think the issue is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines