Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving Files with Spot Color Channels

Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you KIDDING me?

If you are planning to print an image with spot colors, you need to create spot channels to store the colors. To export spot channels, save the file in DCS 2.0 format or PDF." this is from the ADOBE info "Print with spot colors from Photoshop

DSC 2.0 (or multi channel for that matter)  is an extremely outdated way of saving files with spot channels. I have been in prepress for over 25 years and DCS files went away with drum scanners and the Brisque RIP (R.I.P.)

Most or all RIP's  and  software applications recognize photoshop files saved as PSD (preserves transparency) and TIFFs with spot channels (althought not my favorite-tiff). Suggesting that the user choose DCS or PDF out of Photoshop just seems absurd to me. I use PSD files with spot channels in my workflow daily and send files to various printers. This feel this needs to be updated.

The article on top about the Pantone libraries going away in August of 2022 was what caught my eye at first, but then the first section below on saving files just got me!

RANT OVER

Amybeth M
ACI G7 Certified Expert
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amybeth M. ACI G7 wrote:

To export spot channels, save the file in DCS 2.0 format or PDF." this is from the ADOBE info "Print with spot colors from Photoshop

Hi Amybeth,

In the link that you posted, can you scroll down to the blue bar where it asks for feedback on the page? You can paste your message into the reply window after you click "No".

~ Jane

8AC70F6D-F9F1-4BAC-A50B-39337AB3B9AB.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane I will 🙂 

Amybeth M
ACI G7 Certified Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Amen, Amybeth.
Encountered this today (wondering 'why is this person saving files out as eps/dcs) -- surely there is a newer method that doesn't involve stone tablets and chisels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines