Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving highest quality jpeg images in Photoshop

Contributor ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I need to save a slew of high-quality images for use in a YouTube video and wish to determine/confirm the best method to ensure the highest output quality.

Here is my workflow.

1) open, crop image as desired

2) deselect the resample check box, and increase the resolution from 72 to 300 PPI, though I don't know if that will deliver better results given their intended purpose. For example, will it make a difference if the images are at 72 or 300 PPI in a YouTube video?

3) select the resample check box and set desired width/height in pixels with the resampling method set to Bicubic Smoother (enlargement).

4) apply the necessary sharpening

5) File>Export>Export As>Choose JPEG as the file format, sRGB for color space, and click Export All.

In the Export As dialog box, where it reads Image Size, the resampling method option appears again. Given that the image has already been resampled and is at the preferred size, can I assume this is irrelevant?

Is this correct, or is there a better way?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Kind regards,

Mark

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DPI/PPI value does nothing as it's the number of pixels that matter here. So yes, set desired pixels, that's key.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Fun Seeker 

Pixels per Inch (ppi) is only for print documents and does not matter for web or on-screen viewing. Personally, I tend to use Save As (or Save As Copy) instead of export.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check what resolution/pixel size your YouTube video will be and size your images to that, rather than let YouTube do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Export As dialog box, where it reads Image Size, the resampling method option appears again. Given that the image has already been resampled and is at the preferred size, can I assume this is irrelevant?

By @Fun Seeker

Correct. The reason there is a resample option in Export As is so that copies can be exported at different pixel dimensions without having to alter the pixel dimensions of the original document. But if you already resampled the current document using Image > Image Size, then like you said, you don’t have to touch the resampling in Export As.

The other answers are also correct that 72 vs 300 ppi doesn’t matter for images used in a video; what you want to pay attention to when resampling for video is the final exported pixel dimensions (e.g. 1920 x 1080 px).

Because Export As is designed to export for screen media (web, video, mobile), it doesn’t provide a ppi resolution option. For print output that needs to preserve the document’s ppi value, you’d choose File > Save a Copy and choose JPEG there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, thanks everyone for your help. I'm concern myself only with pixel dimensions and not PPI. 

Kind regards,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines