• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving JPG From PSD Bloated Size

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, after this last update about 2 weeks ago, Photoshop started making my JPG's huge when I save them out from my PSD files. I'm mostly designing website banners and emails currently, where the PSD's themselves are well under 3MB, yet when I do 'Save As' to make a JPG when I'm done, no matter what quality I select on the JPG slider, the JPG file size ends up being 16-24MB! And these are small, RGB, 72dpi, 600px max width, and 200-2000px height, which normally save out to JPG's well under 100KB for the banners, and under 1MB for the emails. I've been able to work around it by doing the Export/Save for Web legacy option, but it's been pretty annoying to not just be able to quickly save a JPG like I have been for over 20 years, haha. So, I just wanted to throw this out there and see if it's a known bug that just needs fixed, or if anyone knows of a weird/random setting that I know nothing about that could fix this? I kind of doubt it's a settings issue, because I can't think of a scenario where anyone would ever need a 600px X 200px JPG to be over 16MB and unusable for the web. Thanks for any help on this!

My system: Lenovo - Intel Core i7 8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 32GB RAM, 64-bit, Windows 10 Pro.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

When you copy layers between documents, Photoshop writes a specific set of metadata associated with the original document. On the one hand, this is useful and allows you to track the chains of copying layers, and on the other hand (when you regularly copy the same set of layers across multiple documents), this can lead to a increase in the amount of metadata in each file. The maximum size of metadata in one file that I met was 97 (!!!) megabytes ðŸ˜±

There are three options:

1. disable metadata

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good day!

Yes, indeed, I see the same problem. It seems that there is some difference between the original metadata and those that imageMagick generates after format conversion, as a result, there is no access to data blocks from the script. Obviously, this problem is not related to the fact that you are using Photoshop CC2014 and Adobe XMP Core 6.0.

I can change the script so that it can see these files, however, deleting them will only be possible after they are opened in Photoshop. This will be an extremely inefficient approach, since Photoshop will re-save in general all the graphic files that it finds in the directory (this is long and pointless).

Also, the -strip ImageMagik command is unlikely to suit you, which will remove all metadata from the file during conversion. If you are familiar with command line utilities, I can recommend ExifTool by Phil Harvey - it can selectively delete individual blocks of data (I checked - it sees this section). An example of using this utility can be found in @Stephen_A_Marsh blog - Metadata Bloat - photoshop:DocumentAncestors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, jazz-y! I'll give it a go. Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @J453 said, use File > Export > Export As. 

To further reduce file size, select lower quality.  See screenshots.

image.png

Scroll down.  Set Metadata to None and Color Space to sRGB for the web.

image.png

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This is the work around I've been doing since the issue popped up a few weeks ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines