• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving over an existing file - 'replace' no longer the default choice when hitting 'return/enter'

Participant ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving a file (for example saving out multiple images from a PSD with 'save for web') it's often the case that I want to save over old files.

When you do this, an alert warns you that the file already exsists and you have to options, 'cancel' or 'replace'.

In previous versions of Photoshop, 'replace' used to be the default button, so that you could just hit 'return' on the keyboard and it would assume you want to 'replace'.

So, when saving images out with 'save for web' for example, you could use your keystrokes to save for web (shift+opion+command+S) and then just hit the return/enter key to accept the 'save for web' dialogue's 'save...' option, then hit it again to select the 'Save Optimised' dialogue's 'replace' choice, then again when you get the 'Replace Files' dialogue to select 'replace'.

A wordy desciption, but basically you could go, 'Shift+Option+Command+S', then 'enter, 'enter', enter' in quick succession, without having to use your mouse to click buttons on screen.  A real time saver when you're saving out multimple images from one file (different layers or layer comps for example).

It seems this has now been chaneged (v21.1.2) so that in the 'Save Optimised' dialogue box, the button for 'cancel' is now the default, instead of 'replace' (even though the blue border shows around the 'replace' button) meaning you now have to use your mouse instead of just being able to tap the 'enter' key.

It's a small thing, but annoying and really affects workflow. Any way to revert this back so that hitting 'enter' when the 'Save Optimised' dialigue box appears when saving over an existing file, will automatically select 'replace' rather than 'cancel'?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is no one else having this issue? For me it's a massive work-flow barrier?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Eugene.  Did you find a solution for this?  It is a massive work-flow barrier for me too!  Thank you so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. The duplicate "are you sure you want to replace it?" message seems to have now gone/been fixed (23.3.1), but 'cancel' is still the default highlighted option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for letting me know, I appreciate it.  It's been very frustrating!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is beyond ridiculous that they haven't fixed this! In 30 years,, I've never regretted upgrading in photoshop more than I am right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This, and the fact that Photoshop asks you twice if you're sure you want to replace the existing file is super annoying. I wish they would get rid of the additional "Replace Files" dialogue box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines