• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to CC 2019, I am not longer able to scale images evenly simply by holding shift.

I went to keyboard shortcuts and found a "scale" shortcut that was unassigned, so i assigned it to "S" as it simply wouldn't let me assign shift:

Capture.JPG

Now it seems to only want to scale evenly and won't let me scale however I want simply by dragging the corner of the image. Sometimes it doesn't go evenly when I transform with Ctrl+T and scales evenly after I press S, but wont let me go back to scaling unevenly.

Any Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Participant , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Proportional scaling (without holding Shift) is now a default. Holding Shift while scaling now behaves in precisely the opposite manner, despite decades of precedent and the fact that every other application uses Shift-drag for proportional scaling.

Why? Who knows. This is easily one of the most unnecessary and counterintuitive changes Adobe has ever made.

Details and instructions for how to disable it are at the link below.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Lots of people reporting this as a bug but it's a new feature. The behaviour in previous versions has now been reversed. Default is now proportional (constrain) - no Shift required. Shift for non-proportional.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

It can be disabled if required (refer "New and enhanced..." link above - steps from that link reproduced below).

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

It's a new feature. The old behaviour has been reversed. Default = proportional (constrain). Shift for non-proportional. Few people see any logic in this change.

Plenty of forum posts on this

CC20 transform tool: Shift doesn't keep Aspect ratio

The new behaviour can be disabled.

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text belo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 481 Replies 481
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw in other theards of different forums this is something it's not possible even somone not interested in haven't noticed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what you are saying here if you agree or disagree...but this is te formal Adobe forum and Adobe should be responsive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I linked you to forum which is more appropriate to report bugs, however that is intended feature. If you don't mind you can request over there to change free transofrm behaviour back as it doesn't work as shape transform, so like it used in CC2018.

Oh sorry, I thought you mean a link I left for joon910810. I edited that post and when I read it now I must confess I can't understand that completely as well But what I remember I wanted to say that the situation from this theard is reflected on other forums I was in. So it's hardly possible to know you've been read by people you left that for when nowhere there's reaction you expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2019 Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And whats more crazy is that they shift the key for free transform images, but keep the SHAPE transform the same as before (press shift to transform proportionally)!! Wow, and that's really confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU. Also: COME ON ADOBE! This is the most backwards, unnecessary, annoying, unintuitive BS.

Stop making me miss the days of physical discs where at the least the program doesn't change all the time for no good reason. Making things more complicated than they need to be really doesn't help those of us who don't have hours to study your new training videos that are always getting released - just make new tools and leave the ones that work just fine alone ffs. The 2019 out-of-the-box version made me think of Gimp 2006. Stop making arbitrary changes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow I'm so happy to know it's not just me! I was going crazy trying to fix this. Such a ridiculous update, I'm very surprised and disappointed they did this. Going to try fixing now...

Thanks so much for the info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the fix. This is the worst bit of UI work I have ever seen, absolutely amazed this passed. Just going to echo others in the hope that someone at Adobe reads this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another day ruined by adobe 2019. put it off as long as I could, and knew BS was coming. This plus changing undo commands and taking all the tools out of the toolbar are the one that have thrown me off all morning. Why? I wonder if has anything to do with these tools all matching Power Point functions and commands now. I thought adobe was to keep the pitch deck posers out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BIGGEST WTF EVAR!
none of the other adobe products do this, so good luck trying to retrain your fingers.
can't even believe the depths of egotistical idiocy necessary to dump this on us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EXACTLY!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, while we're at it, let's convolute some more functions, Adobe. Who the heck do they have working on this stuff?

As inane a concept as Apple making you plug a first gen "pencil" into the Lightning port on ipad Pro. Nothing pro about that stupid concept... then they abandon 1st gen owners of their product by not making the next iteration backward compatible. I'm so sick of these bloated corps taking advantage of designers who spend good money and have remained loyal over the decades.

More and more I'm seeing independent software devs offering Open Source design tools. May have to go that route.

It's as if Adobe just doesn't care what designers / illustrators / users think about their products as they continue to make poor UX choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a fix on pg 1. You need to add a text doc to the Settings folder. Why they didn't add a button in Prefs for this is beyond me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet they call this

Usability improvements???????

JC!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's helpful, I wrote a simple Applescript that toggles the Shift-Proportional/non-proportional thing back and forth.

You need to quit Photoshop, then run it, then restart Photoshop.

It runs a Terminal command line that creates the PSUserConfig.txt file referenced in the official documentation.

Run it again and it deletes the file.

For anyone who doesn't like mucking around with creating preference files and saving them in the right spot, this is as close as we could get to a "push-button" solution.

begin script code

======================

tell application "Finder"

--grab the path to the PS prefs folder

set PSprefs to the folder "Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings" of (the path to the preferences folder) as alias

if exists file "PSUserConfig.txt" of PSprefs then -- if the settings file change is present

display dialog "The default setting — Proportional Scaling — is turned off." & return & return & "Do you want to turn it on?"

try -- remove the file

do shell script "rm ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe\\ Photoshop\\ CC\\ 2019\\ Settings/PSUserConfig.txt"

on error

display alert "The text file could not be deleted."

end try -- try remove

else -- if the file is not there

display dialog "The default setting — Proportional Scaling — is turned on." & return & return & "Do you want to turn it off?"

try -- create the settings file

do shell script "cd ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe\\ Photoshop\\ CC\\ 2019\\ Settings/; echo TransformProportionalScale 0 >PSUserConfig.txt"

on error

display alert "The text file could not be created."

end try -- try create

end if -- exists

end tell -- Finder

========================

end script code

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh, and for what it's worth, I saved it into an Automator application.

Open Automator, create a New > Application; drag in the component to "Run Applescript" (use the Search field) and then paste the code above into it and save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be somehow ok with this change if these motherf****** would be consistent with it. God damn not to mention that in illustrator shift has the same behaviour as before, when they want to change it, they should change it atleast through all of their products.

But it's even more frustrating when it doesn't work within the same program, for instance, while working with some smart objects you have to still use shift. Person behind this decision should be fired or atleast change their career. Only moron could approve this, not UX an experienced designer.  I guess this is a result of forced inclusion. God bless CS5.

My muscle memory is really suffering.AdobeSupport​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHY did they change this? Its awful!
I hate to update this software. it always get worst and worst ;*( And why on earth can't we keep the old settings as an option? it make no sense?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This cant be true . Redicolous Fools. best idea to change a common interface feeling like that. Is someone Adobe developer using Photoshop at  at all it seems you are just messing up the feeling of everything. Best situation when you have to rush through something on work and you start Photoshop with an awkward feeling like that proportinal transform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you guys not have ipads?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what purpose? To use Photoshop with even less screen real estate and no keyboard commands whatsoever?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We aren't talking about Photoshop LE. We are talking about the full version, which designers use. We would never use an iPad for working on high resolution images. iPad version was an afterthought for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have an iPad. I also have a blender. I wouldn't use either of them to edit a 450MB Photoshop file.

Shift-drag for proportional scaling is not only the way Photoshop has worked since I started using it in 1997, it is the way every other application still works. This change is ill-conceived, asinine and utterly unneeded. It is a stupid answer to a question no one was asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MscottR69  wrote

Shift-drag for proportional scaling is not only the way Photoshop has worked since I started using it in 1997, it is the way every other application still works.

I've also used Photoshop since version 2 in the early 1990s, and the fact is, the world has changed: Every other application does not require Shift to resize proportionally. They used to, but not any more. I've tried out two of the most popular and frequently recommended Photoshop competitors, Affinity Photo and Pixelmator. These are modern applications, on new code bases following the latest UI conventions.

Guess what: In both of these popular Photoshop alternatives, when you drag to resize proportionally, you do not hold down the Shift key. This means two things: Photoshop is actually behaving consistently with other current software, and if someone protests by switching to a modern Photoshop competitor they will be in for a shock when they find out that some of those other applications work in exactly the same way that they did not want.

Now that Adobe has released the Photoshop 20.0.5 update, which includes the new Use Legacy Free Transform preference so that proportional scaling can work like it used to, you can now choose whether you want to scale the old way or the new way. But I don’t think the Photoshop competitors give you that choice.

I’m not saying the situation is totally resolved, though. There are still problems. Even if the default resizing behavior in Photoshop (with the new preference off) is consistent with other modern photo applications, it is not consistent with other major Adobe applications such as InDesign and Illustrator, and that is still a muscle memory problem for someone trying to use Creative Cloud applications together. Also, the default behavior doesn’t proportionally scale all object types consistently; some don’t need Shift and some (like vector shapes/paths) do. Adobe has more work to do in this area to get it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines