• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to CC 2019, I am not longer able to scale images evenly simply by holding shift.

I went to keyboard shortcuts and found a "scale" shortcut that was unassigned, so i assigned it to "S" as it simply wouldn't let me assign shift:

Capture.JPG

Now it seems to only want to scale evenly and won't let me scale however I want simply by dragging the corner of the image. Sometimes it doesn't go evenly when I transform with Ctrl+T and scales evenly after I press S, but wont let me go back to scaling unevenly.

Any Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Participant , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Proportional scaling (without holding Shift) is now a default. Holding Shift while scaling now behaves in precisely the opposite manner, despite decades of precedent and the fact that every other application uses Shift-drag for proportional scaling.

Why? Who knows. This is easily one of the most unnecessary and counterintuitive changes Adobe has ever made.

Details and instructions for how to disable it are at the link below.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Lots of people reporting this as a bug but it's a new feature. The behaviour in previous versions has now been reversed. Default is now proportional (constrain) - no Shift required. Shift for non-proportional.

It can be disabled if required (refer "New and enhanced..." link above - steps from that link reproduced below).

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

It's a new feature. The old behaviour has been reversed. Default = proportional (constrain). Shift for non-proportional. Few people see any logic in this change.

Plenty of forum posts on this

CC20 transform tool: Shift doesn't keep Aspect ratio

The new behaviour can be disabled.

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text belo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 479 Replies 479
Contributor ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer doesn't take into account that many of us already have a PSUserConfg.txt file to fix issues with Wacom tablet driver behavior under WinTab.

I added the new configuration code after my tablet configuration settings in the existing file:

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

TransformProportionalScale 0

This is the kind of clueless product management that makes me seethe when I think of Adobe. Not only is this a bad move for productivity for the existing user base, it's inexcusably lame to make the change on one application and dribble out the change someday into the other apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do this. change your preferences to match this

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 12.12.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What application are those preferences for?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that. It is for AI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set your preferences up like this and it will fit it without having to mess with the application folders. It worked for me and I can stop cursing at Adobe for Screwing with me. This is for AI

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 12.12.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will the notepad hack rest if I update Photoshop to the later version?

(I really do not want to go though this with every update and rather stay with the old version where I have already fixed this ridiculous "innovation")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We don't know what the next update version of Photoshop will bring, maybe they will revert it to the old way of scaling or at least give you an option to turn it on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant if I update the version does it resent all the preferences or does it keep them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the fix and it worked!  Not sure why they changed it but at least a fix was provided.  So far some of the updates are not that great.  Adobe please keep in mind... you don't need to fix something if it's not broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would often use photoshop to scale out parts of my image in transform and I would do so while holding down the shift key so all is aligned. Now I can't do that. I have to use distort and look at the percentage that pops up on the screen and release and hope it's aligned. Surely there is a better way right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This update is MADDENING!!!! If they would have done this 20 years ago, that would have been fine...Adobe... can't do it now! Please give an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the update. So happy Photoshop again functions with the same muscle memory as all other Adobe apps I use: InDesign and Illustrator. And at last I can stop following this thread.

It still baffles me why keep the default like that. It's a worrying sign that Adobe made that bad decision in the first place (no option for legacy behaviour) but also that they still want to keep the behaviour as it is as a default (it benefits no-one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, even the argument that a person who'd never used an Adobe product before would be none the wiser kinda falls apart when, as you say, the same functions for other apps like Indesign and Illustrator act in the opposite way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the fix is no longer working BUT, Adobe has finally added a preference to switch on/off the legacy behavior. *EDIT: I see that others have pointed this out. Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 12.27.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reverted the scaling to the normal one with the above fix after the latest Photoshop update, but I have just upgraded to 20.0.5 and the scaling does not work normally again even though I have created and placed the PSUserConfig.txt into the Library.

Please help, it is impossible to work with this crazy new scaling!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

found it in the post above, thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE HELP:

I've just had to do an update to Photoshop which has reverted it back to the default setting (not holding shift to scale proportionally) and this trick doesn't seem to work! Any ideas??

Incredibly frustrating, Adobe, why?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update does not revert back to the old way.  To update has a new preference that you can set to use the old way. That is not the default. You need to edit your preferences and check the box. Use legacy free transform

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

did anyone face this trouble? When I use a Free Transform (Ctrl+T or by Edit menu), holding the Shift button doesn't keep aspect ratio. I have to make sure that Lock Aspect Ratio in the Control Panel is On, itit takes some more attention than I'm ready to pay for this operation )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Go to Edit>Preferences>Performance and enable Legacy Composting then reboot your photoshop.

Screenshot_3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's for compositing issues, not issues using the Transform tool.

PS 2019 – Color Blend Mode Buggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of people reporting this as a bug but it's a new feature. The behaviour in previous versions has now been reversed. Default is now proportional (constrain) - no Shift required. Shift for non-proportional.

It can be disabled if required (refer "New and enhanced..." link above - steps from that link reproduced below).

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers?

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

3. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:
    • Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
    • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you point me to the release notes?

For further releases it would be awesome if you had a link to a clean list of things that have changed so we know before we have to scramble to figure it out.

Obviously I love the product, but it's REALLY aggravating to do an update and to have to keep combing through all the things Adobe reset or flipped around when trying to work, especially when my workspaces keep getting overwritten and my performance keeps degrading with each update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First link in my post above ("New and enhanced features...")

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC​

but it's REALLY aggravating to do an update and to have to keep combing through all the things Adobe reset or flipped around when trying to work, especially when my workspaces keep getting overwritten and my performance keeps degrading with each update.

Agreed. That's why I read the Adobe blogs, release notes and forum posts before upgrading.

I used to be an early (instant) adopter but not any more. Been burned too often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines