• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scanner to Photoshop changes dpi

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a Plustek Opticpro A320E Flatbed Scanner and I set up the quality to scan in 600dpi but when it opens up in Photoshop it comes over in 300dpi.  When I talk to Plustek...they said its on the adobe end and I am doing everything I supposed to do in their software driver.  Why isn't Adobe Photoshop opening the file the way it is supposed to be scanned out?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the scan contain the correct number of pixels for a 600ppi resolution? I'm trying to understand if this is just the PPI metadata that is 300 when it should be 600, or if the actual pixel quantity is incorrect. So this is separate software, not some scanning plugin inside Photoshop? Can you supply a link to a scan that has not been opened in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you opening the file in Photoshop or are you importing it into another image? Shtepen has a really good point--about the resolution, when you open the image and it is 300 ppi, when you look at the rulers, is the size of the image doubled?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll check tonight.  I was just expecting the "size" to be set as 600dpi when opening it in Photoshop that I didnt' pay attension to the pixel or inches dimension to see if it was larger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@au96alum wrote:

I'll check tonight.  I was just expecting the "size" to be set as 600dpi when opening it in Photoshop that I didnt' pay attension to the pixel or inches dimension to see if it was larger.

All that matters is the pixels. The resolution otherwise (300PPI (not DPI) or 600PPI) is simply metadata that has no bearing on the actual number of pixels. The scanning software should be providing this metadata for Photoshop so I don't necessarily believe what Plustek told you. But when the rubber meets the road, it doesn't matter. If you ask for 3000x3000 pixels, if you get that, the tag doesn't matter. Adobe is only reporting what the scan software tells it but if you can upload an original scan, to something like Dropbox, we might be able to examine the metadata.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The digital dog said what I was going to. Check the number of pixels being made and then in PS. I have a feeling the metadata isn't being read correctly or PS is overriding it and distributing those pixels as "300 PPI". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines