• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch disks are full, but have 900gb of space available.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting a scratch disks are full error. I have an external drive connected as an active scratch disk in Photoshop with 900mb available, and have been using it with no problems for a year. Recently, and I can not think of anything that has changed, Photoshop is only registering less than 10gb available on both my Mac as well as my external drive. I've noticed that the free space is always the same amount for both. Any insight would be appreciated! 

Currently running Catalina 10.15.7; Photoshop 22.5.1

Screen shots of disk utility showing available space, and Photoshop scratch disc preferences attached.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

This might help on Catalina APFS formatting:

https://www.macworld.com/article/233490/why-you-might-see-a-new-data-disk-in-catalina.html

It looks like Photoshop is seeing your OS partition (120GB?) as the startup scratch disk. The format is also encrypted—not sure if that might be the problem.

A simple experiment might be to add a new named volume partition to your extrnal 1TB SSD and see if that shows at full size in Photoshop’s scratch disk list. You should be able to add a volume with Disk

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you restart your computer does Photoshop still list the free space as 6GB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, restarting and ejecting and reconnecting the external drive doesn't change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an external drive connected as an active scratch disk in Photoshop with 900mb available, and have been using it with no problems for a year.

Has your OS been Catalina for the last year or did you recently upgrade? It looks like Photoshop might be seeing the data partitions of your APFS formatted drives? Maybe someone else can weigh in on whether the drive format could cause the problem. I have an SSD drive on Mojave that I use as my PS scratch disk, but it is formatted as Mac OS Extended

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't remember the last time I've upgraded my system, definitely not any time recently. I originally had to reformat the external drive to APFS for it to work with Photoshop, but maybe something has changed since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made more space on my internal drive, which Photoshop registered but still mimiced for the external drive.

Screenshots are before and after making space on the internal drive, and Photoshop's reaction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might help on Catalina APFS formatting:

https://www.macworld.com/article/233490/why-you-might-see-a-new-data-disk-in-catalina.html

It looks like Photoshop is seeing your OS partition (120GB?) as the startup scratch disk. The format is also encrypted—not sure if that might be the problem.

A simple experiment might be to add a new named volume partition to your extrnal 1TB SSD and see if that shows at full size in Photoshop’s scratch disk list. You should be able to add a volume with Disk Utility without reformatting the drive—but backup any valuable files on My Passport first. Here’s Apple’s guide on adding a partition:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/disk-utility/dskua9e6a110/mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a new volume did the trick! Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to set it as your primary—select it and use the up arrow to move it to the top of the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this problem myself and has been annoying me all week, just followed your advice and it worked! Thank you so much Rob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 9.00.58 PM.png

If someone comments "Clear your disk space" Im gonna lose it.

"My Passport" is a 2TB external hard drive. Adobe thinks it has the same disk space as "Untitled" which actually does have 2.23GB left (Hence the external hard drive). The only thing on the External is the Adobe Photoshop application and files. Just not sure why it thinks they both have the same amount of space left. Every google search i did, even the ones with the same problem, were directed to the link in the background of the picture, which is obviously not the solution. This is the latest version of photoshop and the latest MacOS. Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi scratch disks are always refer to internel drive give me more free space...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further clarification: I can't even open photoshop to set the size of the file, so thats not the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's because your passport is formatted as NTFS. Not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. I've been unable to open Photoshop because I keep getting a "scratch disk full" error dispite having enough space. I tried everything from https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-scratch-disk-is-full.html but the error persists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines