• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screen suddenly goes black and iMac (2020) becomes unresponsive when using Photoshop

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a brand-new iMac 5K (2020) with AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB / 40GB RAM / OS Big Sur for Photoshop 2021.

Randomly when using Photoshop, the screen suddenly goes completely black permenantly and the machine becomes unresponsive, (although the backlight appears to remain on slightly - I notice it turn off when I hold the power button before restarting).

There doesn't seem to be a specific task that is doing this and it's happening sometimes a few times an hour to a few times in 10 minutes, it is very annoying.

So far I have tried:

- Turning off power nap / auto sleep

- Resetting VRAM
- Disabling GPU in Photoshop
- Reinstalling Photoshop
- Rolling back version to Photoshop 2020

Nothing makes a difference, I have looked everywhere for solutions but can't find anything that solves the problem. It also does the same thing with InDesign, although less frequently, which makes me think it is an Adobe issue as I've not had a problem with other software.

This is very frustrating, Adobe software is a large part of my workflow and this problem is making the Photoshop pretty much unsuable so any help would be much appreciated.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and check "Disable Native Canvas" - then restart Photoshop. Does the problem still occur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines