• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script prefernce file

Engaged ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am interested to find out how a preference file works with a custom script.

How is the preference file or settings file normally attached to the script?

Does this makes sense to attach  the parent-settings.jsx to the parent .jsx script?

parent.jsx

parent-settings.jsx

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Put your variables to 'parent-settings.jsx' and at beginning of 'parent.jsx' use evalFile() method with path to 'parent-settings.jsx' to collect its content for later use by 'parent.jsx'.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Ok, I revamped my script. It now allows for you to create a default preference, as well as saved preferences. You can save various preferences, using the Create New Preset Button. If you want to actually use that preset and set it as the default, you first select it in the dropdownlist then hit the Save as Default button.

To actually get the values to another script, copy the code for the UI to that script. You can omit all the onClick and onChange functions within the block to make the UI. In

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

You still need all this code in the script that reads the XML

///////////Preference and XML vars  YOU NEED ALL THIS CODE

var presetList = new Array(  );//Blank array to be populated with the users preferences stored in an XML file  

var xmlFile = new File('~/Desktop/XYZ/xmlTest.xml');  
if(xmlFile.exists){  
    prefXML = new XML(readXMLFile(xmlFile))  
    };// see if a preference file exists and load it.  
else {alert('There is no preset file')}  

var dlg = new Window('dialog','XML Test

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I revamped my script. It now allows for you to create a default preference, as well as saved preferences. You can save various preferences, using the Create New Preset Button. If you want to actually use that preset and set it as the default, you first select it in the dropdownlist then hit the Save as Default button.

To actually get the values to another script, copy the code for the UI to that script. You can omit all the onClick and onChange functions within the block to make the UI. Instead of using dlg.show(), use dlg.hide(). This will end the creation of the UI, but it will not show the UI. Then you just use the variables in the UI to get the values, as normal.

It's best to set a default value before setting other saved preferences.

///////////Preference and XML vars  
var startNodes = new XML('<root><presets><preset presetName ="Default"/></presets></root>');//creates a start for addin info to the XML preference file.  
//var startNodes = new XML('<root><presets><preset presetName ="Current Default"/></presets></root>');//creates a start for addin info to the XML preference file.  
var prefXML = new XML();// the actual XML file that holds the preferences until written to a file.  
//var prefXML = new XML();// the actual XML file that holds the preferences until written to a file.  
var presetList = new Array(  );//Blank array to be populated with the users preferences stored in an XML file  
var saveName;//Name for the saved preset  
var useDefault = false;

if(xmlFile.exists){  
else {prefXML = startNodes}  

var dlg = new Window('dialog','XML Test')  

/////////All elements separated in a separate window
        ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

var myCheckBox = dlg.add('checkbox',undefined,'Check Box'); myCheckBox.name='myCheckBox';  
        var myRadio1 = dlg.add('radiobutton',undefined,'Radio 1'); myRadio1.name='myRadio1';  
        var myRadio2 = dlg.add('radiobutton',undefined,'Radio 2'); myRadio2.name='myRadio2';  
        myRadio1.value = true;  
        var myEditT = dlg.add('edittext',undefined,'Edit Test '); myEditT.name='myEditT';  
        var myStaticT = dlg.add('statictext',undefined,'Static Test '); myStaticT.name='myStaticT';  
        var mySlider = dlg.add('slider',undefined,25,0,100); mySlider.name='mySlider';  
        var myDropList = dlg.add('dropdownlist',undefined,['one','two','three']); myDropList.name='myDropList';  

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
         ///xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

/////////////////////////////////// This needs to be in any dialog box for the presets to work///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////  
/////////////////////////////////// The name of the dialog has to match whatever is in the current UI///////////////////////////////////////////  
dlg.gp = dlg.add('group');  
dlg.gp.orientation = 'row';  
    var presetListDrop = dlg.gp.add('dropdownlist',undefined, ['No Presets']); //presetListDrop.name = 'presetListDrop';  
        presetListDrop.size = [200,16]  
        presetListDrop.selection = 0;  

presetListDrop.onChange = function(){//updates UI when new preset is selected  
              if(prefXML.presets.children().length()>0){//loads presets into UI                       
                 setUIvar(prefXML,parseInt(presetListDrop.selection),dlg);  
              };                  
        }; 
    var saveDefault = dlg.gp.add('button',undefined,'save as default')
    var saveP = dlg.gp.add('button',undefined,'Create New Preset')  
    var deleteP = dlg.gp.add('button',undefined,'Delete Current Preset')  

saveDefault.onClick = function(){  
            var goodName = true;  
            storeDefaultPrefs ();
            dlg.close();
            };  

//==============================

saveP.onClick = function(){  
            var goodName = true;  
            saveName = prompt ('Enter a name for the preset', '', 'Preset Save');  

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////   

for(var i=0;i<presetListDrop.items.length;i++){  
                if(presetListDrop.items[i].text==saveName){  
                    goodName = false;  
                    alert(saveName +' is already in use. Choose another name.')  
                    }   
                }  

if(saveName && goodName){                
                storePrefs()  
                presetListDrop.selection = presetListDrop.items.length -1  
                }  
            };  

deleteP.onClick = function(){  
            if(isNaN(parseInt(presetListDrop.selection))){alert('You must select a preset to delete first')}  
            else if(parseInt(presetListDrop.selection)==0){alert("You can't delete the default preference.")}
            else{  
                var delPre = confirm ('Do you want to delete the preset "' + presetListDrop.selection.text +'"?', 'Yes', 'Delete Preset')  
                if(delPre){  
                    delete prefXML.presets.preset[parseInt(presetListDrop.selection)];  
                    setPresetList();  
                    writeXMLFile(xmlFile,prefXML);  
                    presetListDrop.selection = 0  
                }//end if  
            };//end else  
        };//end function      

setPresetList()      
            setUIvar(prefXML,0,dlg)  
            }  

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////  

var myOkButton = dlg.add('button',undefined,'Close');  

myOkButton.onClick = function(){dlg.close()};  

dlg.show();  

////////////////////////////////Presets//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////  
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////  
//function to add a new preset  
function storePrefs(){  
    var tempXML  
        tempXML = new XML('<root><presets><preset presetName ="' + saveName + '"/></presets></root>');  
        setXML(tempXML,0,dlg);  
        prefXML.presets.appendChild (XML(tempXML.presets.preset[0]))  
        setPresetList();               
      };//end function storePrefs  

function storeDefaultPrefs(){
var tempXML
    tempXML = new XML(startNodes);
    setXML(tempXML,0,dlg);

if(prefXML.children().length()==0){
        prefXML = new XML(tempXML);
        }
    else{
        prefXML.presets.preset[0] = XML(tempXML.presets.preset[0])        
        };           
  };//end function storeDefaultPrefs  

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////  
//function loops through the ui object and if the control items have been assigned a name it stores the name and the value to an XML file.  
 function setXML(x,n,d){//x = xml file, n = starting node, d = dialog.   
    for(var i = 0;i<d.children.length;i++){  
       if(d.children[i].type == 'panel' || d.children[i].type == 'group' || d.children[i].type == 'tabbedpanel' || d.children[i].type == 'tab'){setXML(x,n,d.children[i])}//loops though UI and restarts function if it comes to a container that might have more children  
        else{  
            if(d.children[i].name){//check to make sure the control has a name assigned so that it only records those with name.  
                switch(d.children[i].type){  
                    case 'radiobutton':  
                        x.presets.child(n).appendChild(XML('<' + d.children[i].name +' type="' + d.children[i].type + '">' + d.children[i].value + '</' + d.children[i].name + '>'));                          
                        break;  
                    case 'checkbox':  
                        x.presets.child(n).appendChild(XML('<' + d.children[i].name +' type="' + d.children[i].type + '">' + d.children[i].value + '</' + d.children[i].name + '>'));                          
                        break;  
                    case 'slider':  
                        break;  
                    case 'edittext':                      
                        x.presets.child(n).appendChild(XML('<' + d.children[i].name +' type="' + d.children[i].type + '"><![CDATA[' + d.children[i].text + ']]\></' + d.children[i].name + '>'));                          
                        break;                      
                    case 'dropdownlist':  
                        if(d.children[i].selection){varHold = d.children[i].selection.text}  
                        else{varHold = 'null'};  
                        x.presets.child(n).appendChild(XML('<' + d.children[i].name +' selecIndex="' + d.children[i].selection + '" type="' + d.children[i].type + '"><![CDATA[' + varHold + ']]\></' + d.children[i].name + '>'));                          
                        break;  
                  };//end switch  
                }//end if for child having name  
            };//end else  
        };//end for loop  
 }//end function setXML  

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////  
//function loops through the ui object and if a control item has been assigned a name uses that name to look up the preset value in the XML.  
function setUIvar(x,n,d){//x= xml file; n = node number (0 is default node), d = UI dialog  

var currentXMLVal;//used to store values from XML file.  When this value is assigned, it checks to see if value from XML exist  
    var noMatch = false  

noMatch = false;  

if(d.children[i].type == 'panel' || d.children[i].type == 'group' || d.children[i].type == 'tab' || d.children[i].type == 'tabbedpanel'){setUIvar(x,n,d.children[i])};//reruns function if child is container and not control item.      
        else{  
            if(d.children[i].name){//Checks to see if child has a name assigned so only will reset those control items that have a name will be stored.  
                try{  
                    //Assigns all variables from presets node.  The "n" tells which preset to select.   
                    currentXMLVal = x.presets.preset[n].child(d.children[i].name);     
                    if(currentXMLVal == 'null'){currentXMLVal = null};  
                    }//end try  
                //catch assigns 'no_good' to current XMLVal so that if there is no value in the XML file, it will not try to assign a bad value to the UI controls.  
                catch(e){currentXMLVal = 'no_good'};//end catch  
                //switch makes sure proper type of value is reassigned back to UI controls.  
                if(x.presets.preset[n].child(d.children[i].name).length() > 0 || d.children[i].type == 'button'){  

case 'radiobutton':  
                            d.children[i].value = returnBoolean(currentXMLVal);  
                            break;  
                         case 'checkbox':  
                            break;  
                        case 'edittext':  
                            d.children[i].text = currentXMLVal;  
                            break;  
                        case 'slider':  
                            d.children[i].value = parseFloat(currentXMLVal);  
                            break;  
                        case 'dropdownlist':  
                            varHold = false;  

if(x.presets.preset[n].child(d.children[i].name).@selecIndex.toString() == 'null'){d.children[i].selection = null}  
                          else{d.children[i].selection = parseInt(x.presets.preset[n].child(d.children[i].name).@selecIndex)};  

break;  
                          };//end switch else  

};//end if to see if there is a good value from the XML  

};//end if for UI control having name  
            };//end else for if child is container or control  
        };//end for loop   

};//end function setUIvar  

//function returns a boolean value.  Values stored in XML are returned as strings, so they need to be converted back to boolean values.  
function returnBoolean(b){  
    if(b == 'true'){return true}  
    else{return false}  
    };  

//Function resets the values of the preset list when items are added or deleted.  
function setPresetList(){  
    presetList = new Array();  
    presetListDrop.removeAll();  
    for(var i=0;i<prefXML.presets.children().length();i++){presetListDrop.add('item',prefXML.presets.children()[i].@presetName)}  
};//end function setPresetList  

function readXMLFile(file) {  
    if (!file.exists) {  
        alert( "Cannot find file: " + deodeURI(file.absoluteURI));  
        }  
    else{  
        file.encoding = "UTF8";  
        file.lineFeed = "unix";  
        file.open("r", "TEXT", "????");  
        var str = file.read();  
        file.close();  

return new XML(str);  
        };  
};  

function writeXMLFile(file, xml) {  
    file.encoding = "UTF8";  
    file.open("w", "TEXT", "????");  
    //unicode signature, this is UTF16 but will convert to UTF8 "EF BB BF"  
    file.write("\uFEFF");  
    file.lineFeed = "unix";  
    if (!(xml instanceof XML)) {  
        for(var g=0;g<scriptArray.length;g++){  
            try{  
                file.writeln (scriptArray[g].toString())  
                }  
            catch(e){}  
         };//end for loop              
        }  
    else{file.write(xml.toXMLString())};  
    file.close();  
    };

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be a template for your working file. It will read the XML, but will not display the UI. I has the same code for the UI as the actual UI script. I put in an alert to get two of the UI values, just to give you an idea of how it works.

///////////Preference and XML vars  

if(xmlFile.exists){  

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

var myCheckBox = dlg.add('checkbox',undefined,'Check Box'); myCheckBox.name='myCheckBox';  
        var myRadio1 = dlg.add('radiobutton',undefined,'Radio 1'); myRadio1.name='myRadio1';  
        var myRadio2 = dlg.add('radiobutton',undefined,'Radio 2'); myRadio2.name='myRadio2';  
        myRadio1.value = true;  
        var myEditT = dlg.add('edittext',undefined,'Edit Test '); myEditT.name='myEditT';  
        var myStaticT = dlg.add('statictext',undefined,'Static Test '); myStaticT.name='myStaticT';  
        var myDropList = dlg.add('dropdownlist',undefined,['one','two','three']); myDropList.name='myDropList';  

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////////// This needs to be in any dialog box for the presets to work///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////  
/////////////////////////////////// The name of the dialog has to match whatever is in the current UI///////////////////////////////////////////  
    var presetListDrop = dlg.gp.add('dropdownlist',undefined, ['No Presets']); //presetListDrop.name = 'presetListDrop';  

setPresetList()      
            setUIvar(prefXML,0,dlg)  
            }  

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////  

dlg.hide();  
////////////////////////////////////////////////////

alert (myCheckBox.value + '\n' + myEditT.text)

////////////////////////////////Presets//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////  

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////  
//function loops through the ui object and if a control item has been assigned a name uses that name to look up the preset value in the XML.  
function setUIvar(x,n,d){//x= xml file; n = node number (0 is default node), d = UI dialog  

var currentXMLVal;//used to store values from XML file.  When this value is assigned, it checks to see if value from XML exist  
    var noMatch = false  

noMatch = false;  

if(d.children[i].type == 'panel' || d.children[i].type == 'group' || d.children[i].type == 'tab' || d.children[i].type == 'tabbedpanel'){setUIvar(x,n,d.children[i])};//reruns function if child is container and not control item.      
        else{  
            if(d.children[i].name){//Checks to see if child has a name assigned so only will reset those control items that have a name will be stored.  
                try{  
                    //Assigns all variables from presets node.  The "n" tells which preset to select.   
                    }//end try  
                //catch assigns 'no_good' to current XMLVal so that if there is no value in the XML file, it will not try to assign a bad value to the UI controls.  
                if(x.presets.preset[n].child(d.children[i].name).length() > 0 || d.children[i].type == 'button'){  

case 'radiobutton':  
                            break;  
                         case 'checkbox':  
                            break;  
                        case 'edittext':  
                            break;  
                        case 'slider':  
                            break;  
                        case 'dropdownlist':  
                            varHold = false;  

if(x.presets.preset[n].child(d.children[i].name).@selecIndex.toString() == 'null'){d.children[i].selection = null}  
                          else{d.children[i].selection = parseInt(x.presets.preset[n].child(d.children[i].name).@selecIndex)};  

break;  
                          };//end switch else  

};//end for loop   

//function returns a boolean value.  Values stored in XML are returned as strings, so they need to be converted back to boolean values.  
    else{return false}  
    };  

//Function resets the values of the preset list when items are added or deleted.  
    for(var i=0;i<prefXML.presets.children().length();i++){presetListDrop.add('item',prefXML.presets.children()[i].@presetName)}  

if (!file.exists) {  
        }  
    else{  
        file.encoding = "UTF8";  
        file.lineFeed = "unix";  
        var str = file.read();  
        file.close();  

return new XML(str);  
        };  
};  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are so kind to provide both script options to work with the default preference and saved preferences. The scripts are very helpful to understand how to implement a preference file. I greatly appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully, it will work out for you. It's been great for all the scripts that I've written.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chuck, the functionality of your script saving, reusing, and updating presets is very useful.

I copied the UI portion of your script to a new script file and was able to alert the values from the XML file.

The issue is that I'm only able to get the original default values even after I update the preference XML with new data. I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly tho, because it worked without having to deal with the dlg.hide() and onClick(), onChange() methods.  Here is a screen recording for reference:

https://imageasel.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-Recording-2022-02-28-at-10.36.49-PM.mp4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have all the rest of the code from the script that reads the XML included: the functions that read the xml, sets the value, etc? It looks like a lot of that was deleted from your screen movie.

Also, if you want to get the value from the dropdownlist, you have to write it this way:

myDropList.selection //gets value of array position (0, 1, 2)

myDropList.selection.text //gets the text value of the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have the code, my bad, thaks for the clarifictation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your generous help, Chuck! The preferences scripts work great.
I am able to read the values from the preference file using a separate script. Able to save a preference file preset and read the preset values.
This is a great script that has a lot of potentials and exceeded my expectations.

Thank you so much!

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 7.42.06 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad it's working for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still need all this code in the script that reads the XML

///////////Preference and XML vars  YOU NEED ALL THIS CODE

if(xmlFile.exists){  

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////  THIS PART WHICH IS JUST THE CODE FOR THE UI IS THE ONLY THING THAT YOU CAN CHANGE

myRadio1.value = true;  

setPresetList()      
            setUIvar(prefXML,0,dlg)  
            }  

dlg.hide();  
////////////////////////////////////////////////////

alert (myCheckBox.value + '\n' + myEditT.text)

//  YOU NEED THE REST OF THIS CODE

var noMatch = false  

noMatch = false;  

else{  
                try{  
                    }//end try  

case 'radiobutton':  
                            break;  
                         case 'checkbox':  
                            break;  
                        case 'edittext':  
                            break;  
                        case 'slider':  
                            break;  
                        case 'dropdownlist':  
                            varHold = false;  

break;  
                          };//end switch else  

};//end for loop   

else{return false}  
    };  

if (!file.exists) {  
        }  
    else{  
        file.encoding = "UTF8";  
        file.lineFeed = "unix";  
        var str = file.read();  
        file.close();  

return new XML(str);  
        };  
};  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When creating your own UI, you need to define each ui control that you want to record with a new variable name. You also want to name the control - see the last part of each control where I name the control my it's variable name. This enables the script to pull the name and use it in the XML to store and retrieve the value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines