• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Seamless Pattern Issues (Cross Hatching)

Participant ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a hand-drawn cross-hatch pattern for the background of a 24" x 36" (61cm x 91cm) graphic. I know how to create seamless patterns; my problem however is that there's too much repetition and you can see where each square is. Is there a way to adjust the pattern to where it will seem natural as opposed to repeating tiles? Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's a portion of the pattern for reference:

Morazan_0-1710611533420.png

PS: Adobe, your list of topics, which I'm required to select, have absolutely NO relevance whatsoever to my question. Please fix your mess.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe judicious use of the Clone Stamp tool? One thing I've found is, the smaller the pattern, the more obvious the tiling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply @Semaphoric . Yeah, that's the thing, the pattern has to be that small because it's the backgroundk and the source/inspo image has it that way (it's an 18th-century illustration). I think what I might end up doing is to create a line pattern to fit the print area using the blend tool, using a hand-illustrated brush to make the lines look hand-drawn. Still, there has to be another way, I'm thinking. No way I'm the first person to deal with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply @Semaphoric . Yeah, that's the thing, the pattern has to be that small because it's the backgroundk and the source/inspo image has it that way (it's an 18th-century illustration). I think what I might end up doing is to create a line pattern to fit the print area using the blend tool, using a hand-illustrated brush to make the lines look hand-drawn. Still, there has to be another way, I'm thinking. No way I'm the first person to deal with this issue.

By @Morazan

Believe me, you aren't the first 🙂 I usually look for the most apparent flaw in my pattern tiling, correct it, and repeat as necessary. Often, it's back to square one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the pattern in fullres and lossless compression. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'm just going to do it the hard way: develop some hand-drawn brushes of the appropriate length so that there's no repeating pattern in individual strokes, then manually duplicate them across the drawing area, using a different brush for each one. It'll be a pain but worth it in the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does it look at View > 100% ?

This could be an on-screen resampling artifact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the case of the tile square it repeats regardless of the magnification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I didn't mean any magnification. I meant 100% specifically.

100% in Photoshop has nothing to do with size as such. It means one image pixel is represented by exactly one physical screen pixel. That's the only way to see the pixel structure correctly. At any other zoom ratio, the pixels sent to screen are resampled, and with fine pixel structure that usually introduces some artifacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines