• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select layer after Layer via Copy

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased an Action... actually, a couple of Actions, that don't seem to work on my system.

I am on an iMac ver 10.13.6 running PS CC ver 19.1.6

I loaded an image, set my Image/Mode to 8 bits (as required by Action) and named my image "Background" (also as required by Action).

I started the Action and is starts working fine but posts an error - The command "Select" is not currently available. The Action ALWAYS errors out in this same spot - Select layer "Layer 1". I have pasted the Action steps below.

When this runs, the first step is "Layer via Copy" this creates a Background copy layer.

The Shadow/Highlight & Brightness/Contrast steps work

Layer via Copy (2nd one) creates a Background copy 2 layer.

My problem lies at the next to the last line (below) - Select layer "Layer 1".

When does Background copy or Background copy 2 become Layer, Layer 1 or Layer ANYTHING?

When I create an Action and try to recreate this one, at Set current layer, To: layer, and rename the layer, my Action indicates Name: "layer".

So, I have two questions here:

1. How does a copy of a Named layer get the name "Layer" without the Action performing a Name change?

2. If the Action steps below are correct, what could be wrong with my PS that these Actions don't work properly?

I have tried running this using both a rasterized image and a smart object - both at 8 bits - both give the same error.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

I may have found the root of my issue.

When I open an image in PS and ARC is opened, IF I click on Open Object, my problem, as explained above, raises its ugly head. BUT, IF I press SHIFT - Open IMAGE, the image is opened, renamed to Background and when I press Ctrl-J, the copy is named Layer 1.

IF I open a smart object, rename to Background and Rasterize the image, it will still fail when the Action is run that looks for Layer 1. Ctrl-J will make a Background copy - not a Layer 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally when a copy of the backgound layer is made, it create a layer named "Layer 1." You could run the action, so that it creates the layer, but after it fails, go to the step in the action that selects the offending layer and double click on that step. That will start the action to re-record that step. You can then select the correct layer to change the action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm NOT seeing that. Can't say I have EVER seen that.

When you select the background layer and click on Layer/New/Layer via copy, you are doing the exact same thing as Ctrl (or Cmd) + J.

Either way, it makes a copy of the background layer... On my system, "copy" or "copy x" is appended to the original image name. My first Layer via copy of image K7A2682 creates K7A2682 copy - the same as when I rename the original image to Background.

What needs to be set to have PS rename the copy to Layer x?

Your solution to double-click the Action step won't help in an action that creates/references multiple select layer statements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi can you please tell us the name of action which you have so i can see what is going on and paste a screen shot also....thanks

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens with EVERY Action I have that does a Select layer "Layer x" because my PS doesn't create "Layer", "Layer 1" as many Actions look for.

I thought I'd be smart and rename my original to "Layer"... well, when I ran the Action, the FIRST step is Layer via Copy... and MY results are "Layer copy". By default, that Layer copy is selected, shadow/highlights are adjusted, brightness/contrast are adjusted and then another Layer via copy... giving me a "Layer copy 1". When the Action fails, it does so at Select layer "Layer 1" - Which doesn't exist.

I tried pasting a screen shot in my original post that didn't take. I'll try again here but won't know if it takes or not until I submit this reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is name of action ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Painting Action. The "name" has nothing to do with the problem.

Fantastic Oil Painting Action fails also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have actions also that is why i asked to check at my side

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have found the root of my issue.

When I open an image in PS and ARC is opened, IF I click on Open Object, my problem, as explained above, raises its ugly head. BUT, IF I press SHIFT - Open IMAGE, the image is opened, renamed to Background and when I press Ctrl-J, the copy is named Layer 1.

IF I open a smart object, rename to Background and Rasterize the image, it will still fail when the Action is run that looks for Layer 1. Ctrl-J will make a Background copy - not a Layer 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, yes, the background layer has to actually be a backgound layer and not just a layer named background. They are very different things in coding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Smart Object can't be a "locked" Background layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, a background layer is a special pixel layer. Can't be anything else. A layer can be converted to a background layer through the menu, but it will be rasterized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

there is no demo video in package ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to restart your pc and try again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines