Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting Areas For Sharpening

Participant ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys!

When sharpening landscape photos, I try to sharpen the land, but not the sky. When selectng the land for sharpening, I currently use the Quick Selection Tool. However, when trying to sharpen hedges or trees etc, I find it is not very precise in selecting them. I enclose some photos. I was womdering what selection tool might be better for this? I generally select the sky, then select inverse.

My apologies for the quality of the photos of part of the landscape. The only way I could show the selection line was to take photos of my laptop screen with my phone. Screenshots wouldn't show the line.

Selecting-Landscape-For-Sharpening-Query-Photo-1.jpgIMG-0116.jpgIMG-0117.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not much sharpen would do to blue or gray sky there is no detail to sharpen so just make sure all of the tree line is included in the selection.  You can always adjust the filter mask and smart filter till you get what you want.   Do not knock yourself out trying to exclude some sky from the selection.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Ok!
Thanks Jack!

Regards,

Fergal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you’re using the latest version of Photoshop, try starting with the Select > Select Sky command. I tried Select Sky on the screen shot you uploaded, and it seemed to create a nicely detailed initial selection edge. But Select Sky included the mountain, so a few seconds were spent subtracting the mountain with the Quick Selection tool. Next, the image was opened into Select > Select and Mask in case any part of the selection edge needed further refinement. When you think the selection is complete, the last step (not shown) is to choose Select > Inverse so that the it becomes a land selection instead of a sky selection, and then you can sharpen the land from there.

Photoshop-Select-Sky.gif

Of course, you could also choose Select > Inverse immediately after choosing Select > Sky in case you want it to be a land selection right away, and then refine from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines