• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Separate curved paths from one origin, not to append to existing path, in one layer

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

PS CC 2019 version.

I've been looking at tutorials almost all day, but I can't figure this out. Maybe I've gone blind ... 🙂

I need to draw curved lines from 1 origin, spider web-like. I know how to stop a path (command-click) and create a new path.

However, if I draw a new line and click on the intentional 'shared' origin (that is already starting or ending existing stopped path), it is always treated as an append to the existing path. This way I am not able to draw a new separate line from the same origin point. It does not matter if I start from the common origin or end there. A lot of lines are needed and hence to use a layer for each line is not efficient, but maybe the only way?

Please advice. Thanks and kind regards, Bart.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS essentially has no "snap to path/ anchor point" feature due to its tools' options being contextually auto-infered - if a path selected, it will always assume it's the one you want to work on whiule unselected ones are simply ignored. Sounds like you seriously need to move on to Illustrator or another genuine vector drawing program. It's simply beyond PS' capabilities. It was never designed to be a vector drawing program, after all.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say Layer, I assume you mean a Shape Layer. If you are willing to use plain garden-variety Paths, you could do this:

Draw your first path with the Pen, and click on the origin point with the Direct Selction tool. Copyit to the clipboard, and paste it back. It will paste as the first segment, with two endponts. With th Direct Selection tool, select the second point, and then drag it some distance away. You need to do this as two seperate mouse moves — Click and release (to select), then click+drag.

With the Pen tool, click on the second point, to pick up the path. Now you can add points and modify the curvature of exiting segmnents.

Continue to paste and pick up path as may times as you like. You will end up with a Path that has several distinct Sub-paths that have their origins in the same location. You can then stroke the entire Path, or select each path individually with the Path Selection tool, and stroke them seperately.

Subpaths.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

I was refering to normal layers, but my misunderstanding. Have to play a bit and find out what is possible.

At the end I would like to use it as an ordinary PS layer for blending, not masking. I guess I will need to convert it to pixels for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What I suggested is just on a plain layer, and the subpaths were stroked with a brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines