• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shadow layers in photoshop, think alpha layers?

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.veed.io/view/d422de27-8e05-4617-aa44-7f93069c48ff?sharingWidget=true&panel=share

Hello!
Can someone please explain why the shadows gets lighter when copy the selection, and pasting in again?
I want the shadows to be as the pasted in version, (shorter and more suttle) but can I do that by adjusting some Alpha-layers? Its rendered from blender, look my video 

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please explain why the shadows gets lighter when copy the selection, and pasting in again?

Why do you do that at all and not render the image with object and shadow separate to begin with? 

Anyway, a pixel of 50% opacity, selected 50% and copy/pasted will result in a pixel of 25% opacity. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Great, I had no idea copy paste reduce the opacity!
Thats the thing I cant figure out how to reduce the shadow in blender... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, copy/paste does not reduce the Opacity by itself, the active Selection when copying makes the difference. 

If you Select > All, Copy and Paste the opacity will not be reduced. 

Why do you copy/paste and not simply use the Smart Object as is (and add a Layer Mask if necessary)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip! hmm.. not sure what smart objects are..  Im looking for the result i get but its not the propery way to achive, feels like it should be another way to get it, haha! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide the image? 

The layer that results from you dragging the image onto the Canvas is a Smart Object. (see its icon in the Layers Panel)

An image that is embedded in another image, that can have multiple instances, that can be scaled, filtered, … non-destructively. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

untitled.png

 Thanks for guidance and explaning! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how i want shadows to be, (copy paste as in video)

how i want shadows to be.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide the original image? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I had not noticed the posted image. 

One option would be two instances, masking the one and changing the opacity and Blend Moder of the other. 

And adding a Laye Mask if necessary. 

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 15.33.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the guidance!

I have no idea what im doing but this works! haha
https://www.veed.io/view/10b32af8-624b-4702-a1dc-9e19ff529d31?sharingWidget=true&panel=share

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the result meets your needs that’s certainly good enough. 

It will probably not matter in a case like this but keep in mind that using a Layer’s transparency on itself will also affect anti-aliased edges – check out the sharp edges of the bottle at a very high magnification with and without Layer Mask. 

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 15.49.19.pngScreenshot 2023-03-14 at 15.49.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines