Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sky replacement problem

Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gang-

I have a question regarding sky replacement in Photoshop. When I select sky on a particular image, there is a part which isn't selected. I tried using the magic wand tool, which indicated that I correctly selected the part of the image that Photoshop didn't (as indicated by the marching ants). However, when I insert a sky into the image, the part I selected doesn't fill in. I'm sure there is something that I have missed. If anyone can help me, that would be great. Thanks.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

@zeldon50 Try this.

1. Open your image - do not make any selections.

2. Make sure you are on the layer with the image you want to replace.

3. Go to Edit>Sky Replacement.

4. Choose your sky - do not use the brush tool.

5. Hit ok and exit the Sky Replacement dialog box.

You should have several layers with masks created.

Can you show a before/after of the results?

I find its easier to adjust the layer masks AFTER the sky has been replaced than trying to make a perfect selection/brush beforehand.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@zeldon50 you don't need to make a selection when using Sky Replacement - the process makes a mask for you.

After replacing the sky, you can edit the masks to account for any fringing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, but I don't have fringing. I have an area that Photoshop didn't select when I clicked "select sky" and I'm trying to add it to the area that Photoshop did select. I added it to the Photoshop's original selection, using the magic wand tool. However, when I select "replace sky", the area I added remains empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@zeldon50 my point was you are going about this the long way. Using Edit>Sky Replacement does all of this automatically and gives you masks that you can then edit to add to areas not selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. I used the "add brush" in the sky replacement dialog box, but it only adds the sky to a portion of the area, leaving the rest untouched. I watched a video on this and the author had no problem "painting" the sky into all the areas that needed it. Something's not right...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@zeldon50 Try this.

1. Open your image - do not make any selections.

2. Make sure you are on the layer with the image you want to replace.

3. Go to Edit>Sky Replacement.

4. Choose your sky - do not use the brush tool.

5. Hit ok and exit the Sky Replacement dialog box.

You should have several layers with masks created.

Can you show a before/after of the results?

I find its easier to adjust the layer masks AFTER the sky has been replaced than trying to make a perfect selection/brush beforehand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-

I followed your guidelines. After the sky was inserted, I attempted to use the brush in the sky replacement dialog box to fill in the area (see photo). It did not paint the sky in at all (as you can see in the attached image file). I had the background layer highlighted, not the mask layers. As a side note (even though I didn't do it this way), if I go to the select menu and choose "select sky", Photoshop does not put a selection (marching ants) around the area in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-

I followed your guidelines. After the sky was inserted, I attempted to use the brush in the sky replacement dialog box to fill in the area (see photo)."

By @zeldon50

Dont use the brush in the dialog box. Edit the generated layer with the replaced sky using the mask afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@zeldon50 this is your example using the Sky Replacement. No edits, no brush just choose my sky and hit ok.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1700254128692.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, I watched a video by Anthony Morganti, where he used the brush in the dialog box and it worked perfectly. So now I'm confused. Also, I'm not at Photoshop right now, so can you tell me where I find choose "my sky" is located? Obviously, it worked for you. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Edit>Sky Replacement.

In the selection window click the + button to add your custom sky if you wish.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1700255390220.png

That tutorial is having you do 2 years old/outdated methodology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  • एचजी

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines