Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slice with overlapping

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am making a photobook as a gift. The contents of it will contain a WhatsApp conversation of the day my son was born. The WhatsApp image is a very long screenshot. I would like to slice this up into even sections, but need the slices to overlap, so where text get cut, its not cut on the next slice if that makes sense. I can't figure out how to do it and I am a complete novice. 

Any help welcome. 

Thanks.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What a lovely idea. 🙂

I would recommend opening up the image, duplicating that image for as many sections that you want to turn into separate images, masking them, and then exporting them as separate images. Here's how:

1. Open the image.
  2. Select the Background layer and go to Layer > New > Layer Via Copy (you can also duplicate the layer with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl (Windows) / Command (macOS) + J).
  3. Repeat Step #2 for as many images that you want to make from the image.
  4. Select the Rectangular Marquee tool (if you're not sure where to find it, you can use Edit > Search or click the Magnifying glass icon in the upper right to search for it. Click on it in the results and Photoshop will show you where it is and select it for you).
  5. In the Layers panel, select the first duplicated layer above the original Background layer.
  6. Make a select around the portion of the image that you want to keep (Draw a rectangular selection by dragging from the upper left to the lower right.).
  7. While the selection is active, make a layer mask by clicking on the 3rd icon from the left at the bottom of the Layers panel.
  8. Repeat Steps 5-7 for each duplicated layer.
  9. Go to Layer > Export As... 
  10. In the Export As dialog, deselect any layers on the left side that you don't need to export (probably just Background), on the right under File Settings, set the format (try PNG so that you don't have JPEG artifacts), and click Export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines