• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow down with Photoshop 2019

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm finding Photoshop 2019 unusable - constant beachball - really slow load times, and hanging constantly. Really slow to start up - No problems whatsoever with 19.1.6

Checked all the processor settings - turned graphics processor off & on again - cleared preferences - none of which makes any difference.

MacPro 5.1, AMD Sapphire 7950, 28GB RAM, Mojave, which all works perfectly well with 19.1.6. I'm editing large 16bit tiffs - 600ish MB, one or 2 layers, but it's slow even with small files..

Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why it slowed down your Photoshop. If the update did screw your settings, it should have worked resetting them. If you didn't try this guide Photoshop lags, freezes, or runs slowly. I would suggest to do a try reinstall your CC apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you solve this issue? Please let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not solved. I re-installed PS 2019, but still the same very slow start-up, and beachball at every edit. Can't crop an image without a hang..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should Contact Customer Care , they will see if you're an isolated case or if the update did mess up with the drivers or anything related with your hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you update the os to the latest one? this is slowing down the PS as well as AI.

Hopefully will have a patch soon !

Mine is also very slow since I updated it to Mojave.

Chana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I’m on the latest version of mojave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue also. I've noticed it occurring most of the time when making selections using either magic wand or lasso tool.

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz

Windows 10 64-bit

32GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing similar issues on my Mac. Using clone stamp or brushing a layer mask the brush almost immediately turns to the "waiting/clocking".

I'm on a Mac Pro, Mohave and have tried disabling the graphics cards (which show as compatible) and no change. Uninstall and reinstalled the PS update, no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JeffJ225​ , If you see here: Known issues in Photoshop CC. The lag when using the stamp or paint tool is a known issue, the only workaround is to disable the ruler (CMD+R)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Have you tried the latest release 20.0.1 released today ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded it   Let's see if it makes a difference..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I disabled the ruler and I think it is better. I also uninstalled and reinstalled. Too bad Adobe support didn't know the tip to disable the ruler trick. They were messing will all sorts of other settings to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, just as bad - if anything it's worse! Takes ages to perform any task, and opening a small file takes 25 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening 19.1.7 takes 7 seconds. Opening 20.0.1 takes 32 seconds.

Opening a 200 mb file with a few layers in 19.1.7 takes 3 seconds. Opening the same file in 20.0.1 takes 60 seconds! (both with the program already running).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is not promising at all. Thanks for sharing your results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Photoshop became absolutely frustrating. Trying to use a paintbrush, even on a mask is basically impossible.

If I try to paint, first I get the beach ball, then it disappears, the brush appears again but nothing responds. There's no way to stop the process nor anything.

Mac OS 10.13.6

2,9 GHz i7

16 GB RAM

100GB free in my internal SSD + 400GB in a FW disk.

All the settings according to https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

I've been using Photoshop since mid-90's

I've a presentation today and I don't know how to finish it. I'm typing this message with the brush cursor frozen on a photo.

I am paying for a service that I'm not getting. This is the basic stuff, if Photoshop doesn't work there is no CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problem here - Mojave 10.14.2 with PS CC2019 20.0.2 taking forever with save/open file dialogue to certain folders.

Mysterious and very irritating...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No change here, basically have given up troubleshooting as 19 seems fine. there is a new version of 20 out, so maybe I’ll take another look, but I can’t waste too much time beating my head against the wall!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried 19.1.7 and it showed a similar issue, although not quite as bad, then relaunched 20.0.2 and the problem seems to have cleared...I'll keep an eye on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've deleted all my prefs following this article and It seems to be solved. I started deleting the heaviest as the article says, but nothing happened, then I deleted all of them and it seems to be working okay. Not super fast but at least I can use a paintbrush again without going crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did this by accident but have now duplicated it on another MacPro... I was having the crazy long opening time for Photoshop 2019 with one specifc file that took anywhere from 22-50 seconds with a cold open of PS2019. This was on a 2010 MP 5,1 12 core 64GB AMD Radeon 7950, cruical 1tb ssd running Mojave in APFS... I wanted to put in a 2TB SSD. Accidentally, the drive was HFS+ format. I cloned Mojave 10.14.6 over with CCC and booted from the 2TB SSD not even looking at the format. PS2019 cold open of the same file... 6.2 seconds!!!! Couldn't beleive it. So, I tried another SSD with a clean instal of Mojave 10.14.6 on an APFS container. PS2019 cold open with my file: 22-28 seconds. I have another MacPro 4,1 (hacked to 5,1) 8 core 64GB AMDRad7950 running 10.14.6, crucial 1TB ssd in APFS. PS2019 cold open with my file time: 22 sec... Made a new clone to a blank ssd formated in HFS+...

Booted. PS2019 cold open with my file: 7 seconds! All around better performance opening and saving large 16-bit psds... Seems better with the GPU also in Liquify and Select & Mask. I haven't compared everything yet... I'm going to stick with HFS+ for now. I have been searching for forums on old 2010 hardware performance with APFS... Not too much info. I have a 2015 MBP i7 quad 16GB AMD RadeonR9-2GB + IrisPro1536. It opens PS 2019 with my file in 6.2 seconds in APFS... Same as the MP 5,1 in HFS+... PS 20.0.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines