• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Objects layers, opening in MS Paint?

Participant ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

Wonderng if anyone else has had this issue. while worlking on some PSD files, and layers. I had a photo layer in which I was swapping out the image, flattening and saving the smart object, so it updates in the PSD.  All good, did it a few times... then all of a sudden it starts opening my Smartobject layers in MS PAINT... not sure how to get it back to opeinng in PhotoShop?  Anyone know what happened here, or  fix?

Regards

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your file associations in Windows settings ("default programs by file type").

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File associations for PSD and PSB files are set to PhotoShop. Not sure what else to check against. But thank you for the response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In MS paint what is the image's file extension.  Smart objects can be crated from layers in which case the objects work file will be a *.PSB.  Objects can also be placed Image files, like *.jpg, *.psd, *.tif, *.ai, *.svg. If you Uninstall a Photoshop version after you installed your newest version of Photoshop.  Adobe uninstaller  may wrongly change file associations it had changed when it install to what they were before it was installed. Even though a newer version  has  also changed them so now jpg and tif may be associated with paint. Never use Adobe un installer to remove old versions of photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the smart object layer and link de image again (make it a smart object again, if necessary). Worked for me 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah - this helps sometimes 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem...
I uninstall and reinstalled the Photoshop via the Adobe cloud 😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on smart object and click relink to file, then link it to your image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! this is goood...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue.

A file received from another person had this smart object which when I tried to edit opened in paint. Its extension showed in MS Paint stated that it is tiff but all my PSD, PSB and tiff files are set to open in Photoshop by default.
What I did and it worked for me was to right-click the smart object and choose "Export contents..." It created a tiff file with editable smart layers and transparency. Then in Windows, I right-click chose "open with" then "Choose another app" and set it to open this file type always in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ThankFull to you, by follow your providing instruction. I recover my Tiff file in whic i have worked in multiple layers of 3D Mockup Designing and they have all done by this way.

I'm Really very thankfull to you
GOD BLESSING YOUM ALI Graphics.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved. Just right click on any jpg image > Properties > change opens with file type to psd. Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines