• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart objects psb files, where are they and where did they go

Explorer ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the last 4 years at around this time, I build two monthy desk top calendars to print and sell for the next year. I use smart objects for each month and when I work on the next year, copy the file, ie., May 2020 and rename it May 2021, then I go into the smart object for that file and change the days to match the new year. It seems that every year when I open the smart object the format changes slighly (wants me to update) which is really annoying. So this year I innitiated a quest to figure out what was going on which ultimately led me to make this post. I figured out that the smart object for each month created a psb file that I saved every year,  yet I cannot find any evidence of them anywhere on my Mac. I know they are hidden files, and I have searched the hidden realms as well. If I go to the old calendars open up the smart object I see the psb file name but it is not on my computer. What happened to them? Does Adobe/Photoshop wipe out the psb files when it upgrades the program? How can I preserve their format for next year?

Earl

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that I am on the current version of PS 21.1.2 and Mac OS 10.14.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your description regarding the changing format is not particularly useful, you may want to be way more specific. 

Embedded newly created Photoshop Smart Objects (so not placed ai, pdf, svg, tif, jpg etc.) are stored as pdb within the containing document.

When they are opened they are stored temporarily. (edited) Sorry, I was mistaken and you work on Mac, too … 

Those files should get removed when quitting Photoshop. 

smartObjectTempFileLocation.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right. Never knew this.  I closed down PS and turned my computer off and back on and the psb files I created were no longer there which makes me even more confused. One of trhe newly created psb files that I linked to in a .psd file no longer contained the smart object

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 8.53.37 AM copy.jpgScreen Shot 2020-05-31 at 9.14.04 AM copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again:

Embedded Smart Objects are stored within the containing file! 

There is no secondary file until one opens the SO and this one is intended to perish later on. 

If you decided to work with Linked Smart Objects it is up to you to ensure that the placed files are not destroyed or moved so as to be unfindable. 

Linked Smart Objects make sense primarily if one needs to use them in multiple containing documents. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"once again" "containing file!" whats with the hostility?  

What is a containing file?  

What is a SO?

Why are files intended to perish?

People are losing many hours of work and trying to recover all because Adobe created a confusing system.  Please drop the attitude and explain without jargon and abreviations regular users will not understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People are losing many hours of work and trying to recover all because Adobe created a confusing system.  

Familiarising oneself with a system can make it seem less confusing. 

What is a SO?

In a thread about Smart Objects »SO« seems like a reasonable abbreviation. 

What is a containing file?  

The file containing the Smart Object. 

Why are files intended to perish?

An embedded Smart Object’s data is contained in the containing file; when one opens the embedded Smart Object a temporary file is created and on saving this the Smart Object instances are updated. 

When one closes the opened embedded Smart Object the temporary file is no longer needed and will be removed the next time Photoshop is quit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"once again" "containing file!" whats with the hostility?  

I had previously made the statement »Embedded newly created Photoshop Smart Objects (so not placed ai, pdf, svg, tif, jpg etc.) are stored as pdb within the containing document.« so how is the term »once again« problematic? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would seem to me that if WootieCartoons read the whole threat he wouls see that we were discsing Smart Objects which are imbeaded in a file ('contained in a file")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing:

Smart Objects, even Vector Smart Objects, output as pixel content. 

For print quality vector output is preferable and you may want to consider using Indesign to handle the page layout.  

A while back I needed to create a calendarium and I found several free Scripts for calendar creation in Indesign. 

This might also offer some other advantages to you (like Master Pages for example) if you should be at least a little familiar with Indesign already. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my example of how the formating changes. I don't understand why as the font and size remain the same before and after but every year I go though this.....It's less work and less money to stay within PS thanks to Adobe's subscriptions: The changes are subtle, but the sizing on the dates is smaller (not very visible) which makes me change the font size and the spacing gets thrown off a little on "Sam" (Sunday)

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 9.53.03 AM copy.jpgScreen Shot 2020-05-31 at 9.53.21 AM copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, explain this to me. I opened May 2020.psd, opened the SO May 2018.psb. saved it, then opened May 2021.psd established the link to May 2018.psb, saved both the May 2021 psd & psb files, closed Photoshop, opened it again, opened May 2021 and there is no link to the May 2018.psb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Juillet« seems to be another font (style). 

Do you get any warning at opening? 

WHat are the two SO’s exact scale percentages? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In both cases the font is TrueType Caslon Antique, Regular, 55px and yes, every time I open a new file for 2021 I get the warning that it needs to be updated. (Same thing last year wheen I moved from 2019 to 2020) After I do that, I am good to go. But why is this happeinng? Why do I need to do this? Did the formating of the type font change? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open the SO again does the warning appear again? 

And like I mentioned: There are obvious differences noticable in »Juillet«. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I update and save the update, I can close the file and open again without the warning. There most be some changes in PS updates that causes the issue. Like I said I worked on 2020 calendars a year ago and had the same issue, only the changes were more dramatic. This year not as bad. Same font, same settings but every year I have to update them. Go figure. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could install the old Photoshop version to check if the old SO opens without the warning there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure: You are talking about embedded SO and not linked SO? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines