• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Solo layer in Photoshop

Contributor ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Photoshop lack the ability to "solo" a layer (or layers, by soloing more than one)? I do much more video editing and use this feature in After Effects hourly. I know, the workaround is to hide all the layers but the one I'm interested in. But to do a true A/B I stare at the spot on the screen and just click my mouse 3-5x. If I have to look away and click 8-12 layer switches it impacts my effectiveness.

Thanks,

- DK

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Hi, Alt+click on the eye icon to hide or show all other layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Another solution is to assign a keyboard  shortcut to Select> Isolate Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

@DKins wrote:

Does Photoshop lack the ability to "solo" a layer (or layers, by soloing more than one)

If you need to hide / show more than one layer — and then do it repeatedly — there is another feature in Photoshop that may also work for you. You can create multiple Layer Comps that will remember the visibility of layers and you can toggle between the layer comp states.

(Window menu > Layer Comps)

janee_0-1648901667789.png

Details here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/layer-comps.html

Layer Comps ca

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Alt+click on the eye icon to hide or show all other layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is just stop working in latest 2023 photoshop. Is it only my issue, or a widely spread bug?
EDIT: my fault, I had quick mask switched on .. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another solution is to assign a keyboard  shortcut to Select> Isolate Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But that doesn't hide the other layers in the image, just in the layers panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, thank you! I can't believe this didn't come up during my extensive search for an answer. I must not have been using the best keywords. Thanks again.

- DK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super, I'm changing this feature request to a question thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DKins wrote:

Does Photoshop lack the ability to "solo" a layer (or layers, by soloing more than one)

If you need to hide / show more than one layer — and then do it repeatedly — there is another feature in Photoshop that may also work for you. You can create multiple Layer Comps that will remember the visibility of layers and you can toggle between the layer comp states.

(Window menu > Layer Comps)

janee_0-1648901667789.png

Details here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/layer-comps.html

Layer Comps can also keep track of position and effects if you check those boxes, but you didn't ask about those.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Photoshop lack the ability to "solo" a layer (or layers, by soloing more than one)? I do much more video editing and use this feature in After Effects hourly. I know, the workaround is to hide all the layers but the one I'm interested in. But to do a true A/B I stare at the spot on the screen and just click my mouse 3-5x. If I have to look away and click 8-12 layer switches it impacts my effectiveness.

Thanks,

- DK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not everyone uses After Effects so please explain what you mean more clearly and post meaningful screenshots. 

alt-clicking a Layer’s visibility-icon in the Layers Panel will hide/show the other visible Layer, but I am not sure that’s what you mean. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Option/Alt + Click on the eye icon on the Layers panel.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used this for long years, but now it stopped working.. Is it a bug or a feature? 😕
EDIT: my fault, I had quickmask switched on 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines