• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 103 - Pool party!

Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks to all who took part on last weekend's "drifting" challenge. 

This week I bring you a swimming pool. I modelled and rendered the scene in Blender 3D,  and textured it in Adobe Substance Painter. However, it looks far too quiet for a pool party. Can you liven it up ?

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. It also would be great to see all those who have taken part in the previous challenges come and take part in this one.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below at 3000 x 2000 pixels with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW103Pool.jpg

For those that like to get a sense of scale, the pool measures 12 m x 8 m and is 1m deep at the shallow (far) end and 2m at the deep end. The "camera" lens used in rendering is 26mm focal length.

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful render Dave, how long did it take to render and do you have to UV unwrap before texturing in Substance Painter also do you just bring in the bare mesh into Substance and texture from there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Ged and thanks.

When taking objects into Substance Painter I unwrap them first. Substance Painter does now have an auto-unwrap function , but I prefer to do it manually in Blender so that I can control where the seams are to keep them unobtrusive.

The final render took about 15 minutes but that was only because I upped the samples to 1024 in cycles to keep noise down in the water. Prior to that I'd been doing test renders at 64 samples which only took 2.5 minutes, the longest part of which was computing the particle systems for grass and trees prior to rendering. That is on a RTX2080ti using OptiX with a tile size of 512 x 512.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Ged — this is a wonderful drawing and exquisite with the fine details.

~ Jane 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane - doesn't look the same without rendered textures though does it?

2020-07-25_18-49-07.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, very different indeed, Dave. It's fascinating to see! If it took 15 minutes to render, how long did it take to draw, then create and apply materials? Somewhere near 40 hours?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not 40 hours, but modelling scenes like that does take a while

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when the server starts working I'll post my image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologizing for its being stronger than we.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pool's looking a bit rough. Is the weather turning 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feed me Dave.

SFTW 103_Pool Party_sm.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What's that Flipper? Bud's not keeping social distance again ?........"

(Only someone growing up in the 60's will remember 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL Dave. Yep I was thinking about Flipper when doing this quick and simple PS image.

Guess that dates us all. We also had the original reruns in the 90’s.  

Here is link to the TV series.

https://nostalgiacentral.com/television/tv-by-decade/tv-shows-1960s/flipper/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week103.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That cat does not look pleased to have taken a swim 🙂  Nice job Rista.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Average game length - 3 days.

poool.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With no pockets I could see it lasting longer than that ! Great idea HothWampa 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha yeah. I was going to add rubber rings as the pockets but it looked to crowded. I suppose you could use the rubber ring there so it's like a game of tiddlywinks/pool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW103PoolAviles2.jpg

And then the landscapers came...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice idea Rafael. You have the perspective spot on and the colour matches well. But can we let a man with your skills get away with that other building reflection in the water ?  🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops! Good eye, Dave. I blame the landscapers, they were a bit sloppy and they did not clean up after themselves very well. Thank you for the comment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Do you want to carpool?" they asked. "Sure," I answered, unsuspecting.

SFTW103Pool JE 1.jpg

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice job Jane. It certainley looks like it has been a lively party!  🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's also a good book to read on the table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't spotted that - nice touch Jane 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines