• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 13 - Great Eggspectations!

Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This weekend I thought we would try an Easter challenge. It is traditional here to decorate eggs at Easter, so the challenge this week is to use the egg below and either decorate it or use it as part of an image. You could go for a traditional approach, or turn it into a "Faberge" style egg, or make a scene and characters...........the world is your oyster (or egg)!

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side. 

To download the image below without the forum scaling artifacts, right click and then use Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW13Egg.png

Enjoy and have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Fabergé eat your heart out.  Hey, that's another idea.

Hmmm...  They must have been a dedicated bunch of Ruskie jewellers those Fabergé guys, because I was losing the will to live just doing it with Photoshop.  You could spend hours and hours doing this, but an-Oeuf is an-Oeuf as they say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find 3D works pretty work for that fine gold work. This is a 3D blue "egg" with two larger gold "eggs" scaled up slightly. I painted the gold work on the opacity map using brush symmetry - then tiled it using the UV settings.

SFTW13Egg3D3A.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow !!!! That's truly magnificent Dave !! Best egg I've ever seen ever !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jodi
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave I was thinking that wrapping a texture around the egg as a 3D object would be the way to go, but I just don't use 3D enough to remember how to, so to speak.  But with things disappearing around the side of an object, 3D is just about the only way to get the foreshortening right.

There was a wee April Fools thread in The Lounge about Illustrator automatically ordering pizza if you drew a slice on the computer, to which I responded with this illustration.  I resorted to the terribly clumsy method of reducing the width of letters on the outside edge to simulate the foreshortening, which I can see you cringing at, but I am a victim of that 'use it or lose it' saying, which means I have to relearn 3D every time I want to use it.   I enjoyed eating all that ice-cream though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, this cracks me up again even though I saw it on the other thread. Can you imagine how much fun it would be to have this kind of delivery at a party or at MAX?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Trevor, this cracks me up again even though I saw it on the other thread. Can you imagine how much fun it would be to have this kind of delivery at a party or at MAX?

Adobe have a significant relationship with Amazon.  I remember Adobe used the Amazon servers when they first rolled out Creative Cloud, for instance, and there's a page here about something called Adobe & Amazon Web Services.  So with apologies to Dave for crashing his size limit, but I took longer on this than for the SFTW images, and there is too much detail that would be lost if I downsized. I'm sorry, also, to new forum regulars who might not get the parachute gag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis, this is delightful! Adobe should hire you for their 2018 MAX publicity!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

jane-e  wrote

Trevor.Dennis , this is delightful! Adobe should hire you for their 2018 MAX publicity!

Thanks Jane.  I think including Chris Cox has scuppered any chance of that happening.  I'll be happy enough if Bert Monroy never gets to know I sent up his uber long ponytail — just in case I ever get to TA for him again.  It's embarrassing, but Bert really is my Photoshop hero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing wrong with working in 2D Trevor. Artists and Illustrators have been doing it for years . I like that illustration!

Ged - If you are keen to learn the basics of Blender, try the 9 part introduction here (each part is short ) :Blender Guru   

One thing extra though, in Blender User Preferences  go to input and change Select With to "Left" then Save User Settings. That way the left mouse click selects - the same way it does in just about every other software package. As default - the right mouse click selects - arghhhh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dave

I did play around with blender before and done this but it was from a tutorial

And this one again from a tutorial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shadows and sparkles really make it pop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very impressive Dave, I tried Blender once and then twice and still couldn't get my head around it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gorgeous egg !! Love the colors !! ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines