Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 171 - Misty Nights

Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks to all who took part in our piggy bank challenge. There were some great ideas and images.

For this week, I've set a scene for you. 'Twas a dark and misty night in old London town....... but what happened next?

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image below at full size, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW171MistyNight.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 136 Replies 136
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is beyond amazing, Dave, it's really beautiful!

I love the touch of Bert Monroy — do I have to explain?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jane. I'd not thought of it that way but I do know what you mean when you mention it.  🙂  Mine is all 3D render, no illustration, but one photo on the wall.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Jane in that you have producd another amazing image Dave. Well done.

Jane - I did to do a web search to look up Bert Monroy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dean_Utian 

Bert Monroy wrote Channel Chops for Photoshop 4 (not CS4) and is best known for his Times Square image. My reference was to Dave's showing us what is inside the one room! 😊

https://www.bertmonroy.com/timessquare/timessquare.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional info @jane-e . I did find out that Bert is known as a  Photoshop expert. I did not know the other things you menioned. I looked at the page about the Times Square image. Amazing that it was over 6.5 GB flattened and had over 700,000 layers. Need to be super organised and super skilled for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean, in this case it's Bert's. Amsterdam Mist illustration we are reminded of.  It's similar to Times Square in that none of it is from a photograph.  It's all 100% Photoshop.  Speaking of 100% Photoshop, Steve Caplin has a book with that name. It's probably my favourite Photoshop book along with Steve's How to Cheat at Photoshop titles.  I have just looked at my book shelf and CS6 is my most recent version, although I have just checked and there is only one more recent version after that which was published in 2013.

image.png

Steve has a nice wee website with a small forum.  It's a bit clunky, but he is good at answering questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had to try the Camera Raw Dehaze slider

DehazedMist.png

I lightened up those gloomy shadows with the Exposure slider, too. Everything else was default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked well, if I get a few minutes, I'll re-render it without the mist for comparison 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I told Dave the same thing by email last night, but I said I resisted the temptation for fear that it would reveal Jack the Ripper and give me nightmares!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good work in transforming the image and revealing a less gloomy character. My transformation is a bit different 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A menacing presence. Nah actually it's my old boyfriend.

ADOBE-FR-SFTW171MistyNight-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the photographer had got his shadow in the pic 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leslie if he is from Texas, how come he is not wearing a Stetson?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here ya go (as an Adobe Stock contributor, he was one of my favorite models. Below next to the cowboy hat pic is where I make him look real scary, and it 's one of my best sellers):

Landry-wall-2af2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leslie, I'm glad you showed both photos — he looks normal in the first and super-mean in the second! 😊 I love the scary shadow!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE-FR-SFTW171MistyNight.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the 'in crowd' 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this one Dave.  It reminds me of Bert Monroy's Amsterdam illustration.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a while since I last used it, but Content Aware Scale is one heck of a handy tool when you need to change the aspect ratio.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great job with the book cover Trevor. As you said content aware scale is a great tool for adjusting the width whilst protecting important elements. It's easy to forget it's there.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Book cover looks perfect for the title. What is the background behind the book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean, I wanted a crusty looking old library with a desk or table, but I'd finished the book by this time, and I coukln't find anything with a close enough perspective.  So I went with a big old library and blurred it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a version with a library by a famous American architect - Louis Kahn.
https://www.nealrantoul.com/posts/louis-kahn-exeter-library

dsc2129_library.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines