Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 171 - Misty Nights

Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks to all who took part in our piggy bank challenge. There were some great ideas and images.

For this week, I've set a scene for you. 'Twas a dark and misty night in old London town....... but what happened next?

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image below at full size, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW171MistyNight.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 136 Replies 136
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great enhancement Trevor. Next some tap dancing 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great enhancement Trevor. Next some tap dancing 🙂

By @Dean_Utian

Is Irish Tap Dancing OK Dean?  

tap-dance-2.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great tap dancing 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice take on the theme Dean 🙂

Trevor - you've just started a new trend of SFTW replies becoming starter images for nested replies ! Nice job with the rain 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave.
On Trevor's trend, we could add an extra points for how far the nested versions can go 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually started to animate a brass tap to do a sideways take on your Tap Dancing suggestion, but an hour later I had a huge mess and gave up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Added the dancing. Credits to Looney Tunes (and original inspiration Singin' in the Rain),

SFTW171RainTapAnim2.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mistier view of londonmistier view of london

Hi, It's a very long week-end in my case...

A quick and dirty work, but here it is:

I *increased* the mist with Camera Raw's dehaze slider.

Created duplicates of the BG in soft light, added some stretched Render>Clouds on the layer masks.

This challenge was an excuse for me to experiment with Christian Cantrell's stable diffusion plugin ( https://christiancantrell.com/#ai-ml ) that I used to generate "Jack the Ripper in misty London"

I extracted it (it even had cobblestones below him), played with the layer mask's contour in properties, lowered opacity and Soft Ligthed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice! It looks like the fog is just rolling in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a lovely job of the mist Pierre. In the original scene I used a volume object that dispersed the light during ray tracing. The post production method you've shown enhanced that effect.Thanks for posting the link to the stable diffusion plug in.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A beautiful job Pierre.  Did you hand paint the foggy patches?  I _had_ to try and work it out.  I started with Render > Clouds, Motion Blur, Blend if, and reduce layer opacity to 50% but it was not as bright as yours.  Then I thought setting it to Screen would not only brighten it up, it would also remove the need for Blend If.  I don't have as much elongation as yours (I used 500 pixels for the motion blur), but if you made the mist layer a Smart Object right after Render Clouds, you could go back in and fine tune it. 

image.png

The thing I like the most about these challenges — apart from the fun, and even the banter — is that it makes you think about how to achieve the effect you have in your head, and we are continually adding to our Photoshop box-of-tricks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! My bad, I had duplicated the background, then added mist with Camera Raw dehaze.

Where I made an error is that I had the below copy at the Linear Dodge - (add) Blending mode, it had the most pleasing effect and on that, I added a layer mask, on which I ran clouds, unliked the layer, stretched it very far, added -I think- some directional blur,

Then duplicated it set it to Soft Light, moved the layer mask to create other patches of mist.

Here's a screenshot of my layers panel, and I am previewing one of the layer masks.

You can see how the lighting changed in the thumbnails.

No blend-ifs that I know of, you know, quick and dirty 😉
I hope this helps!Capture d’écran 2022-09-28 à 20.15.35.png
Lol, I had not noticed that the Background did not get renamed even when opened in my US session (been using the french one to troubleshoot users issues)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As winter is coming on in many parts of the world, a more frosty approach might be fun! 

snowy possibilitiessnowy possibilities

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE-SFTW171MistyNight-bhSANTA.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that would make a great greetings card !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a matter of fact:

adobe-xmas-LARD-OF-THE-DANCE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like that Bob - great job with the seasonal advance. I'd better get my big coat !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like that Bob - great job with the seasonal advance. I'd better get my big coat !

Dave

By @davescm

Speak for yourself Dave.  It's 'Throw another shrimp on the barbie' at Christmas over here.  I've been here coming up 18 years and still can't used to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ssme for me since moving from Michigan to Texas. There's just something wrong about palm trees at Christmas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filters..colors oh!!!!Misty night In Los Angeles.1png.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what it looks like walking home after a dram or two! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little Chana magic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW171MistyNightWarp.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woah there Dean.  We're having an Inception moment.  I sure that's Leonard DeCaprio hiding in the shadows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here he is  - a layer deeper into the inception dream.

SFTW171MistyNightWarpInception.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines